xbox 360 red ring on power up

Reaction score
anyway to fix this without opening it

never had any problem with the wii

a other mess up my bill gates just like is windows

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
It needs sending back, if its without warranty you'll have to pay for an exchange on a refurb, if its in warranty you'll get an exchange for free.

Reaction score
In my experience if you send it back and get a refurb then you will keep sending them back.

Sell it on ebay of whatever too someone that can fix* them and buy a new one.
The new ones are a hellova lot quieter and sleeker. Or wait for the new model to be released probably next year

I say "fix*" because eventually even they after stripping and reapplying HS compound they eventually bust again and again!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Bill Gates is retired. He now spends his time with his missus in his mansion and by donating about 0.5% of his cash to some children's charity thinks it makes him a nice guy.

The man to direct your venom against now is one Steve Ballmer. A middle-aged, bald loony who dresses just like your physics teacher did.

There are a host of guides available online to attempt a repair, most common cause is overheating, cure is usually cleaning and reapplying thermal compound. Worth a try, I'd say.

Reaction score
It works...It does NOT last trust me

Best way is too reflow if you have correct equipment

If not get shut all it will cause you is hassle. I know from experience :(

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
So, it's a plethora of dry solder joints that causes RROD?

If so, that's shoddy, very shoddy.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Bill Gates is retired. He now spends his time with his missus in his mansion and by donating about 0.5% of his cash to some children's charity thinks it makes him a nice guy.

I watched something on discovery about him doing the charity thing. Apparently its a lot more than 0.5% and he and his wife actually goes out to make sure his moneys being spent on the right things. At least he's actually helping the world, if more of the richest people in the world did that kind of thing who knows. Like these oil rich peeps, one of them had there name dug out in a desert so you could see it from space, imagine the money to do that!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I watched something on discovery about him doing the charity thing. Apparently its a lot more than 0.5% and he and his wife actually goes out to make sure his moneys being spent on the right things. At least he's actually helping the world, if more of the richest people in the world did that kind of thing who knows. Like these oil rich peeps, one of them had there name dug out in a desert so you could see it from space, imagine the money to do that!

But, but...... nobody can possibly like Bill Gates, come on, he is number one arch demon, walking spawn of Bezelbub, the ant-christ and a rotter. Everybody knows that and it is super fashionable not to like Bill Gates so ner ner.

Everybody also knows Firefox is the right thing and thousands of people every day day feel smug using Firefox cos they then think they're clever and it's a blow to Microsoft. It's true innit?

Ok, I suppose it's better to bring some comfort and good feeling than not to, whatever the amount given so for that I begrudgingly salute him and his missus. But come on, all that cash and he's retired with nothing to do, don't take a lot of effort does it?

Ok, ok, what he does is good. I suppose. Grrrrr.

One positive thing, for all that you don't like about Bill gates he was infinitely preferable to Steve Ballmer... ;)

Reaction score
Apparently design fault was due to flexing of the board while it heated up.

The GPU/CPU were the main culprits. As the board flexed the chips lifted slightly away from pads on board causing a plethora of errors to be displayed.

The reason I heard was they used leadless solder which is not as good for this type of thing because there is no give.
Basically the chips need to be taken off, cleaned and reballed then attached again using infra red equipment. It is possible to use a heat gun and flux but wont work aswell

The infra red equipment costs many hundreds of pounds. You also need a preheater aswell as BGA reballing kits

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hot-Air-I...844?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a12e5ed6c

Reaction score
It needs sending back, if its without warranty you'll have to pay for an exchange on a refurb, if its in warranty you'll get an exchange for free.

the warranty ran out a long time ago

alot of xbox are over-heating did they know this before

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
the warranty ran out a long time ago

alot of xbox are over-heating did they know this before

Well you'll either have to pay for it to be repaired (not recommended) or get a used later model (recommended) or get a PS3 (up to you).

Did they know about it before? Who? Microsoft? Depends, dunnit, doubt they knew it when first batch were sold but it's very likely they were aware of the problem when later models with iffy solder were sold.

Welcome to the world of corporate business :)

Ask a Question