X-fi, is it worth the expense?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I have been eyeing the X-FI XtremeGamer Fatal1ty edition for some time. I know that the X-fi series makes music sound better, but is it worth the expense?
What games are out or coming out, that fully utilize the card? I know a few of you have and X-fi, was it worth it?

Just making sure i dont spend money on something that isnt of use to me :)

Reaction score
Well I went up from a Trust £11 5.1 job so if you are already on like an Audigy 4 or something then I don't know how much better it is.

But I would just like to say that my one (the cheapest) is definately the most versatile and highest sound quality I have ever heard.

Stalker + X-fi + 5.1 speaker was actually incredible. And Battlefield 2 sounds a lot better as well.

It is very accurate and obviously allows for EAX too, so you can trust your instinct. Often you only survive because you heard something behind you.

How much is the one you are looking at though?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yes it is worth it.

If you shop around you can get the OEM version a lot cheaper, mine even came with drivers, though with some you'll have to download the drivers from Creative's site.

I have commented on this before on this Forum, but the change in sound, the improvement over onboard sound, is quite incredible. It's most noticeable in Games & Movies.

I have a Hercules 5.1 speaker system that I always thought sounded a bit crap, to be honest, but the X-Fi made them come alive, they sound great now :)

However, like most things, you do kinda get used to it and take it for granted after a while.

I have an Audigy 2 in another machine and that really isn't much better at all than the onboard sound.

But the X-Fi - :thumb:

Do shop around though, it's easy to pay too much for one.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I found the Fatal1ty pro for about $145 (71 pounds) little expensive i think.

so Flops, over time you dont really notice it anymore? .... so how does non X-fi sound, sound?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alf said:
I found the Fatal1ty pro for about $145 (71 pounds) little expensive i think.

so Flops, over time you dont really notice it anymore? .... so how does non X-fi sound, sound?

I think I paid around £45.00 for mine, can't remember for sure.

And no, it's not that I don't notice it, I do, I said I kinda take it for granted now, which is a different thing altogether.

It's like buying a good Hi Fi, after a while you just expect the quality. Am I making sense? :D

I can certainly tell the difference between this machine and the other two when it comes to sound, that's for sure.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Here's the one I bought but it was a bit cheaper than that when I purchased it.

I've often wondered what the difference is between the two cards, one aimed at Music, the other at Games.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I have heard that some people are saying not to buy the Xtreme music series. Some people say it isnt a 'true' X-fi card, but whos to say?
i cant seem to find the card im looking for at a cheaper price, or OEM for that matter :(

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I suppose its one of those things where i have to heard it to belive it, right?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alf said:
I have heard that some people are saying not to buy the Xtreme music series. Some people say it isnt a 'true' X-fi card, but whos to say?

I've heard that too and I suspect it's not true, but even if it were true I couldn't give a monkeys because what my ears percieve is pleasing to me and that's what I paid money for.

The proof of the pudding is in the listening, so to speak ;)

And just who and why are some folks saying it's not a true X-Fi card? What actually is a true X-Fi card? What's the difference between Music and Gaming cards? I suspect none, tbh.

All I know is it sounds good :)

Shame you can't find an OEM version :(

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
you think i should spring for the Pro version, or just stick with the gamer edition?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yes its well worth it mate! I've got the Xtreme Music and its superb!

Its the Xtreme Audio thats the 'fake' X-FI. ;)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Hmm... well, so far everyone says its worth it. Perhaps next month i will consider purchasing it, cause right now... i have spent enough already :D
I suppose the Fatal1ty Pro would be the one to go for... because im an 'extreme' gamer :p

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
i think the fatal1ty pro has some memory onboard 64mb i think so apparently this is meant to improve framerate-by a tiny bit and take the jobs of sound processing off of the system memory (thats what ive heard it may be a load of ****)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Thats what i heard too, as of right now its supposed to be a buffer. But nothing really needs is yet

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
What do you think of the Champion version? Initally its more expensive, but it comes with a $50 mail in rebate. Thus making it cheaper than the standard version, im not sure if i care about the front panel connections... but looks like a decent deal, right?

X-FI Platnium Fatal1ty Champion

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I opted for the non Champion edition as they no longer offered the $50 rebate. Just recieved the Fatal1ty xtreme gamer edition :D

I better be dazzled, or else... :D

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Hmm...
the effect is far more subtle than expected, if some one installed it while i was away... i wouldnt be able to tell :p
Later tonight i will test with some games that have given me audio problems in the past, along with headphones

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You'll need to tweak the EQ and other settngs, try turning the crystalizer up to 70-90% :)

What speakers you got?

Reaction score
Yeah you'll have to spend 10 mins checking settings.

Do what VR said for Entertainment Mode, and for Game Mode make sure you enable CMSS-3D and EAX if you use headphones, as well has the elevation thing.

Also, music WILL sound turd if played on game mode, so make sure you change mode according to what you are doing.

To see the real difference in FPS games, use a half decent 5.1 set in a game like Stalker or something.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
V_R, i do switch it to game mode or entertainment mode depending on what i do. When listening to music i dont really notice a differnce in music with the crystalizer enabled %50. And if its enable when i play a game, it makes my speakers and headphones crackle... first time i ever heard them do that, so i keep the crystalizer off. I have Logitech Z-5300e speakers.

Last edited:

Ask a Question