Write this killer XP app for us - We'll pay for it.

Mac

Yes, the OS "tries" to control the hardware, but often it fails in that
task. Do you, David Candy, assert that an XP-fixer or whatever is
impossible?

My suggestion is NOT stupid. It's what we all want....

It's all just ones and zeroes after-all.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
It controls the hardware. Your suggestion is stupid.

Mac

Is possible

Richard Urban said:
NOT POSSIBLE!

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Mac

Possible too

Leythos said:
Now you're down to "General XP-Fixer" instead of something that will fix
ALL XP problems - and if you need "General" then a simple
repair/reinstall process works just fine.

Mac

Not a sober reply

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
for %A in (%windir%\system32\*.dll) do regsvr32 /i /s %A
for %A in (%windir%\system32\*.dll) do regsvr32 /s %A
for %A in (%windir%\system32\*.ocx) do regsvr32 /s %A
for %A in (%windir%\system32\*.exe) do %A /reg
sfc /scannow
chkdsk c: /r

Type the above and you have a general windows fixer. Of course it won;t stop
other programs interfering with windows. That is what the program is trying
to do.

David Candy

It is not impossible. Just get several thousands testers and programmers (and managers and admin staff) and away you go.

Vanguard \(NPI\)

Mac said:
An app that analyses a whole XP system and recommends/makes all the
changes needed to bring that system back to top form. It must be possible,
and most probably lucrative, for those with enough energy/grey matter to
code such-a-beast.

Or has someone already done this?

Such a beast already exists. It is the setup.exe program on the Windows XP
installation CD. Insert in CD drive, reboot, run the setup program, and
select to delete and recreate your partitions and format them during the
install. Voila, you are back to a nice pristine system devoid of all that
crap you installed along with all the tweaking you did which actually
untweaked the host.

Richard Urban

This fellow is just confrontational and will never waver from what he
"wants", however unrealistic it may be.

I am bowing out because he is of no use and can't write the program he seems
to be demanding!

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Yes it is. It will fix hundreds of common problems.

David Candy

You just need a company a bit bigger than microsoft to do this. I'm sure we could raise a few billion by passing the hat around.

Don Taylor

Mac said:
An app that analyses a whole XP system and recommends/makes all the changes
needed to bring that system back to top form. It must be possible, and most
probably lucrative, for those with enough energy/grey matter to code
such-a-beast.
Or has someone already done this?

"Port Magic", now I think enhanced and renamed "Network Magic",
seems to be a step in this direction. It scans whatever pile of
convoluted crap that is supposed to be a working network, recognizes
each of the hardware components, does all the low and high level
configuration, sometimes can then see further into your network,
fixes that configuration, etc.

Port Magic is probably what the Microsoft Network Wizard should
have been, but that is just a guess.

The same sort of mentality could easily have been integrated into
the install process for SP2, and wasn't.

Don Taylor

David Candy said:
You just need a company a bit bigger than microsoft to do this. I'm sure =
we could raise a few billion by passing the hat around.

If history is any guide I think the LAST thing you need is a company
BIGGER than Microsoft to fix the problem. You would probably have
much more success with a company far SMALLER than Microsoft, with a
charter "We will flush no product before its time."

David Candy

We are trying to fix windows and all software that runs on it. Every program must be mapped out and all potential interactions (probably in the billions) also mapped. I really doubt the earth's population could do it.

Spikey

Mac said:
I wouldn't expect it to do that. Just a nice clean tidy of XP.

I'm old enough to remember an early 70's tomorrows world episode where they
reckoned by now we would have domestic robots and totally automated homes.
I feel very cheated!! lol.

NobodyMan

Yes, the OS "tries" to control the hardware, but often it fails in that
task. Do you, David Candy, assert that an XP-fixer or whatever is
impossible?

My suggestion is NOT stupid. It's what we all want....

It's all just ones and zeroes after-all.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
It controls the hardware. Your suggestion is stupid.

Geez, Mac, what are you, five years old? That's what your argument
makes you out to be:

Everybody else: It's not possible.
Mac: Yes it is.
Everybody else: No it's not.
Mac. Yuh-huh
Everybody else: No, because of all the possible variations - it can't
be done.
Mac: Yuh-huh......

On and on and on and on.........

The only "zero" here is you.

Don Taylor

David Candy said:
We are trying to fix windows and all software that runs on it. Every =
program must be mapped out and all potential interactions (probably in =
the billions) also mapped. I really doubt the earth's population could =
do it.

Ok, You have 6 BILLION people reporting to you for work tomorrow.
Explain to me how you will ever produce quality software with that.

David Candy

There was no requirement that this program be quality, only that windows must be perfect.