Word Word 2010 - White Space Round Images

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a Word 2010 document with grey background and border as a paragraph style.

When I add a picture over the top and align the text 'tight' it puts a white border around the image. No matter what I do I cannot get rid of this despite tinkering with transparency, fills and background colours. It varies in size depending on image styles applied like shadows but I cannot get it to disappear:

wordisdrivingmecrazy.png

It works fine with 'in line with text' but not 'tight' or 'square'.

Any ideas????

Thanks!

Adam

Last edited:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Not sure what's happening to you. :confused: I've just done what you did and put a picture into text on a grey background and aligned the text "square" and it works fine i.e no white border around the image.

attachment.php

Unfortunately, I don't know how to solve your problem but I am just demonstrating that it seems to work for me. :blush:

Start all over again?
Put the picture in first, and then the text?

Attachments

• Text.JPG
    Text.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 2,547

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Put the picture in first, and then the text?

That's likely, isn't it? As the white square shown in first pic has a cutout top left corner to accomodate text. That's probably MS Office's best solution for adding the pic as it wouldn't fit exactly to text already there.

I reckon if the picture was there first then added text would accomodate the pic ok without having to add white background 'buffer'.

Myself, I always use Publisher for that kinda thing, only decent MS office program out of all of 'em imo :D.

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help guys.

Just to clarify, the document has a white background as this is what I would like, the grey background is part of the normal formatting I have added to some of the text. I'd like the picture to sit over this and the text to flow around it.

I've tried new documents and adding things in various orders and the result it always the same.

I can use 'edit wrap points' to pull the sides in (losing some of the image of course) and this does start to remove the white area but it also brings the text in to touch the image too close.

You can see an example document here: http://cl.ly/3p380n3x170v0b3T1P42/example-whiteimagebackground.docx

Thanks very much for all your suggestions! I'll certainly consider Publisher as an alternative for future projects. :)

Ta.

Adam

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
even 'publisher' was an abomination for a DTP program, Adobe Pagmaker on the other hand was the only Adobe 'product' worth buying, and you didn't need any sort of DTP skills, though it did help. :)

as for your "page" it open ok-ish in wordpad. :lol:

Can't really help any further, haven't used MS Word since Word 95/97 ... goodbye Mr Clippy :wave:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
even 'publisher' was an abomination for a DTP program,

Perhaps it is but I can only say I've used it since '97 and have always liked it a lot. I'm currently using the 2003 version, blowed if I'm laying out any more money on it.

I've used it to make leaflets, flyers, newsletters, greetings cards, noticeboard annoucements and I have a squillion CD & DVD covers all made in Publisher.

You think Publisher's bad? Try Scribus, it ain't neccessarily bad, just damned difficult to grasp ;)

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Just to clarify, the document has a white background as this is what I would like, the grey background is part of the normal formatting I have added to some of the text. I'd like the picture to sit over this and the text to flow around it

Sorry if it appears as if I am hijacking. I assure you, not the case. Just a thought.

Have you tried to edit or crop the image first? I use a program called SnagIt. In the editor, I can specify canvas size and image size. If the image size is smaller than the canvas size, then I get a white border. If i want it to go away, I can modify the canvas size to be the same as the image size. Maybe you can edit the image and replace it in the document.

Ask a Question