WOL to cable or not to cable??

John Jay Smith

Im trying to make an old pII 350 mhz into a torrent downloader server...

but I would like to turn it on remotley, by using WOL.

The motherboard supports this, and I have set the bios to ON for this
option,

however I cannot seem to make it wake up. This works for another computer on
the same lan
its a pentium 4 though....

in any case I was thinking perhaps that it was that cable needed for this
older machine that
connects the nic card with the motherboard.. but I attached that and it
still doesnt work...

the computer connects to the lan and internet without a problem...

I have not really understood the function of this cable, some WOL systems
work without it connected,
even if the motherboard and the card have the sockets for it....

stranngeee....

any ideas??

Jim Macklin

Have you identified the motherboard by make and model? Have
you downloaded the mobo manual? Have you set the BIOS to
WOL? Have you checked that all power connections are
properly wired according to the mobo manual?

"John Jay Smith" <-> wrote in message
| Im trying to make an old pII 350 mhz into a torrent
downloader server...

| but I would like to turn it on remotley, by using WOL.
|
| The motherboard supports this, and I have set the bios to
ON for this
| option,
|
| however I cannot seem to make it wake up. This works for
another computer on
| the same lan
| its a pentium 4 though....
|
| in any case I was thinking perhaps that it was that cable
needed for this
| older machine that
| connects the nic card with the motherboard.. but I
attached that and it
| still doesnt work...
|
| the computer connects to the lan and internet without a
problem...

| I have not really understood the function of this cable,
some WOL systems
| work without it connected,
| even if the motherboard and the card have the sockets for
it....

| stranngeee....
|
| any ideas??

John Jay Smith

Yes
I did that all before I posted....and it didnt work

but what about the WOL cable?
What is its function and why do some computers do WOL without a cable even
though the
mobo and the nic have sockets for the cable?

Jim Macklin

Some NIC are built-in [embedded] on the motherboard and are
wired already, if you use a separate NIC card in a PCI slot,
it doesn't have power or drivers until the computer is
booting, the wire provides the 5 V it needs to work.

The only thing I can think of that you may not have properly
connected or set something. Only suggestion I have is to
run through the set-up again, from hardware , BIOS and other
possible power settings.

Google for "wake on lan" and you may find some useful info.

"John Jay Smith" <-> wrote in message
| Yes
| I did that all before I posted....and it didnt work
|
| but what about the WOL cable?
| What is its function and why do some computers do WOL
without a cable even
| though the
| mobo and the nic have sockets for the cable?

in message
| | > Have you identified the motherboard by make and model?
Have
| > you downloaded the mobo manual? Have you set the BIOS
| > WOL? Have you checked that all power connections are
| > properly wired according to the mobo manual?

| > downloader server...
| > |
| > | but I would like to turn it on remotley, by using WOL.
| > |
| > | The motherboard supports this, and I have set the bios
| > ON for this
| > | option,
| > |
| > | however I cannot seem to make it wake up. This works
for
| > another computer on
| > | the same lan
| > | its a pentium 4 though....
| > |
| > | in any case I was thinking perhaps that it was that
cable
| > needed for this
| > | older machine that
| > | connects the nic card with the motherboard.. but I
| > attached that and it
| > | still doesnt work...
| > |
| > | the computer connects to the lan and internet without
| > problem...
| > |
| > | I have not really understood the function of this
cable,
| > some WOL systems
| > | work without it connected,
| > | even if the motherboard and the card have the sockets
for
| > it....
| > |
| > | stranngeee....
| > |
| > | any ideas??
| > |
| > |

Jim Macklin

Wake-on-LAN - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Wake on LAN
support is implemented in the motherboard of the computer.
.... Wake on LAN must also be enabled in the Power Management
section of the ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake-on-LAN - 25k - Cached -
Similar pages

"John Jay Smith" <-> wrote in message
| Yes
| I did that all before I posted....and it didnt work
|
| but what about the WOL cable?
| What is its function and why do some computers do WOL
without a cable even
| though the
| mobo and the nic have sockets for the cable?

in message
| | > Have you identified the motherboard by make and model?
Have
| > you downloaded the mobo manual? Have you set the BIOS
| > WOL? Have you checked that all power connections are
| > properly wired according to the mobo manual?

| > downloader server...
| > |
| > | but I would like to turn it on remotley, by using WOL.
| > |
| > | The motherboard supports this, and I have set the bios
| > ON for this
| > | option,
| > |
| > | however I cannot seem to make it wake up. This works
for
| > another computer on
| > | the same lan
| > | its a pentium 4 though....
| > |
| > | in any case I was thinking perhaps that it was that
cable
| > needed for this
| > | older machine that
| > | connects the nic card with the motherboard.. but I
| > attached that and it
| > | still doesnt work...
| > |
| > | the computer connects to the lan and internet without
| > problem...
| > |
| > | I have not really understood the function of this
cable,
| > some WOL systems
| > | work without it connected,
| > | even if the motherboard and the card have the sockets
for
| > it....
| > |
| > | stranngeee....
| > |
| > | any ideas??
| > |
| > |

Jim Macklin

very useful
http://support.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-008459.htm#3

"John Jay Smith" <-> wrote in message
| Yes
| I did that all before I posted....and it didnt work
|
| but what about the WOL cable?
| What is its function and why do some computers do WOL
without a cable even
| though the
| mobo and the nic have sockets for the cable?

in message
| | > Have you identified the motherboard by make and model?
Have
| > you downloaded the mobo manual? Have you set the BIOS
| > WOL? Have you checked that all power connections are
| > properly wired according to the mobo manual?

| > downloader server...
| > |
| > | but I would like to turn it on remotley, by using WOL.
| > |
| > | The motherboard supports this, and I have set the bios
| > ON for this
| > | option,
| > |
| > | however I cannot seem to make it wake up. This works
for
| > another computer on
| > | the same lan
| > | its a pentium 4 though....
| > |
| > | in any case I was thinking perhaps that it was that
cable
| > needed for this
| > | older machine that
| > | connects the nic card with the motherboard.. but I
| > attached that and it
| > | still doesnt work...
| > |
| > | the computer connects to the lan and internet without
| > problem...
| > |
| > | I have not really understood the function of this
cable,
| > some WOL systems
| > | work without it connected,
| > | even if the motherboard and the card have the sockets
for
| > it....
| > |
| > | stranngeee....
| > |
| > | any ideas??
| > |
| > |

Bill Sanderson

WOL, physically, can be done either via the separate cable (older paradigm)
or, more recently, pins on the PCI bus.

The other variable, besides the bios setting and the question of whether or
not the additional cable is needed--is the nic driver--The driver must
support WOL in order to turn on the functionality. Trying new nic drivers
may help.