WOL after a Hibernate?

humphry

Hello my computer can "wake up on lan"
but only when I shut it down...

if previously I have done a hibernate WOL wont work....

(the bios has a resume on ring, could that be it?)

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
If your system is pure Hibernation then it should work.
Pure Hibernation saves the content of the RAM to a file and switches Off the
computer. WOL Switches On the computer before Windows boot, so there is no
interaction between the two.
However if you have a laptop, or a special desktop computer, it might be
different. On many laptop and some desktops, there are variety of
configurations that are not pure hibernation. I.e the computer is not really
switched Off, and WOL might not work correctly.
On WOL here, http://www.ezlan.net/WOL.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

John Jay Smith

What do you mean really switched off??? Hibernation is hibernation!

the ram gets saved on the disk and you can unplug it if you want to....

There are not 2 types of hibernation...

So what are you saying here? The page you sent me does not specificly say
anything about this.
I am very aware of the nature of WOL and hibernation, but its not working
correctly. Do you have anything to propose?

Please dont send me to another non specific site that is general..

I think it might have to do with advanced power management setting... I have
seem some strange behaviour with that...

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Quote: "John Jay Smith" <-> wrote in message
I think it might have to do with advanced power management setting... I
have seem some strange behaviour with that...". (End of Quote)
Standard Wake On LAN (WOL) does not care about power management since the
computer is Off. I.e. Nothing is working. The WOL capacity is maintained
via the low voltage that stays on the motherboard as part as the ATX PSU
Standard, and the Network Card’s firmware that has to be WOL capable. On
some Laptops, Off might mean a form of Power management that is actually
Enhanced Standby that does not entails reboot through the BIOS when switched
ON. Such an Off is not the state the WOL expect, and under such setting WOL
might not work.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

humphry

I will do further experimentation and tell you what I find... something
tells me that you are missing a peice of the puzzle and for once more I will
teach something new to an MVP....

it has happened many times.. hehe

Andy

Hello my computer can "wake up on lan"
but only when I shut it down...

if previously I have done a hibernate WOL wont work....

(the bios has a resume on ring, could that be it?)

Check Device Manager, Network adapter, Ethernet card properties, Power
Management tab, Allow this device to bring computer out of standby.

humphry

ill check... thank you

Andy said:
Check Device Manager, Network adapter, Ethernet card properties, Power
Management tab, Allow this device to bring computer out of standby.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi

Quote: "Allow this device to bring computer out of standby". EOQ

Might be but such a setting would be wake from Standby, which has nothing to
do with Wake On LAN.

I know it sound confusing, but the unfortunate situation in Entry Level
Networking is the free usage of terms that might sound the same language
wise, but are not the same technology wise.

Take a look at my onboard Network card, there are three different entries
for setting involving Wake On LAN.

However, the only one that conforms to the standard WOL is Wake on Magic
Packet.

http://www.ezlan.net/network/wol.jpg

Jack (MVP-Networking).