    This seems a generic error for any component required is missing. Anyone has an idea what's required? How can I test if wmi in my XPe is OK, or how can I find out what component is missing

    Your help is greatly appreciated

    sherry

    Guest, Apr 6, 2004

    Sherry

    To find which components are missing, first you need to find the files associated to that error. I'll do the following while installing the application through wmi

    1. Download the Filemon.exe from http://www.sysinternals.co
    2. Run Filemon.ex
    3. Run application that generates the erro
    4. Search for error in filemon output windo
    5. Once missing files are identified, perform a custom search on TD on that file
    6. Add the component that was found in TD custom searc

    Hope this helps

    ----- sherry wrote: ----

    My application failed to initialize wmi. IWbemLocator::ConnectServer(..) failed with ret code 0x80004002. Error look up showed this code is "No such interface supported ". I have installed following WMI related components
    wmi core, wmi corerelation, wmi filter

    Guest, Apr 6, 2004

    KM Guest

    sherry,

    Assuming you ran your app on XP Pro and everything worked fine...

    Have you included a "WMI ... Provider " component?
    Also, include the "WMI Command Line Utility" and "WMI Tools" components (at least for testing purposes). It will bring a set of
    useful tools you may use to get access (test) to WMI infrastructure. You may use wmic.exe to exercise the IWbemLocator interface
    (read docs how to do that).

    Also, check if WMI service is started on your target.

    --
    KM,
    BSquare Corporation

    KM, Apr 7, 2004

    Yes, WMI service is started. I have just added all components has "wmi" in its names. I'll run this and see what happens

    An interesting or frustration problem I have is now the RRAS service no longer starts. It gives an error in eventlog
    "Cannot load the RAS third party administration DLL component. The following error occurred: The specified module could not be found" in the data section "00000007e" is given

    Only thing I did this afternoon is adding some components to the configuration. I didn't delete any

    Thanks

    Sherr

    ----- KM wrote: ----

    sherry

    Assuming you ran your app on XP Pro and everything worked fine..

    Have you included a "WMI ... Provider " component
    Also, include the "WMI Command Line Utility" and "WMI Tools" components (at least for testing purposes). It will bring a set o
    useful tools you may use to get access (test) to WMI infrastructure. You may use wmic.exe to exercise the IWbemLocator interfac
    (read docs how to do that)

    Also, check if WMI service is started on your target

    -
    KM
    BSquare Corporatio

    Guest, Apr 7, 2004

    KM Guest

    sherry,

    Check if the following components and their dependencies are in your image: "RAS Async adapter", "WAN Miniport", "Network Routing",
    "Dial-up Server for Windows".

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...a=group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded.*.

    --
    KM,
    BSquare Corporation

    KM, Apr 7, 2004

    sherry Guest

    wmi problem

    I've install all components with wmi in it on my XPe. And made sure
    wmi, RPC and RRAS services are running before started my application.
    The application failed to connect to wmi server. Here is the details:

    1. IWbemLocator::ConnectServer(..) failed with ret code 0x80004002.
    Error look up showed this code is "No such interface supported".

    2. In Application EventLog two warnings:
    - Source WinMgmt, Event ID 43, description: WMI ADAP failed to connect
    to namespace \\.\root\cimv2 with the following error: 0x80004002
    - Source WinMgmt, Event ID 60, description: WMI ADAP was unable to
    process the performance libraries: 0x80041001

    3. Filemon trace during the application start phase also says
    SVCHOST.EXE is trying to open wbemcore.dll in \windows\system32\,
    \windows\system\, and \windows\
    and reports "FILE NOT FOUND". In fact this file - wbemcore.dll is in
    \windows\system32\wbem where it suppose to be.

    Why would svchost.exe not looking in wbem directory? Is there a
    registry or config setting I need to do?

    Thanks for your help.

    Sherry

    sherry, Apr 9, 2004

    KM Guest

    Re: wmi problem

    sherry,

    Could you confirm that the PATH enviroment variable on your target includes
    "%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM"?
    If it is not, then one (or some) of components in your Configuration
    overwrites the Path value set by the "WMI Core" component (check the
    component's Registry section).

    KM

    KM, Apr 9, 2004

    sherry Guest

    Re: wmi problem

    KM:

    Which component's registry should I check?
    How can I check the system path variable? I used cmd "path" which
    shows nothing is defined. I assume this command only shows me the user
    defined path. How can I see the system path variable in XPe?

    thanks,

    Sherry

    sherry, Apr 9, 2004

    KM Guest

    Re: wmi problem

    sherry,

    I was referring to "WMI Core" component. However, I think (and that might be your problem) there are quite a few component that
    overwrite the Path value.
    If you check the "WMI Core" component' registry section, you will notice the "path" string value
    ([HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment] key). This is your Path environment variable.

    You can first try an easy test - add the "%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM" to your Path var (something like "set
    Path=%path%;%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM") and see if it helps with your issues.
    Then you can set the Path through your own component using FBA Generic Command calling to cmd.exe with the set command as an
    argument. Just set FBA phase number of the FBA Generic Command to a very late phase to make sure nothing overwrites the Path value.

    --
    KM,
    BSquare Corporation

    KM, Apr 9, 2004

    sherry Guest

    Re: wmi problem

    Thank you very much, KM.

    I went to registry session manager and put the wbem path in and
    everything worked beautifully :)

    The path variable is empty. I don't know why. I'm running my image in
    Virtual PC so that I don't have to do frequent FBA at the early stage
    of our development.

    Thanks again and wish everyone has a wonderful weekend!

    Sherry

    sherry, Apr 9, 2004