wmi initialization failed

My application failed to initialize wmi. IWbemLocator::ConnectServer(..) failed with ret code 0x80004002. Error look up showed this code is "No such interface supported ". I have installed following WMI related components
wmi core, wmi corerelation, wmi filter

This seems a generic error for any component required is missing. Anyone has an idea what's required? How can I test if wmi in my XPe is OK, or how can I find out what component is missing

Your help is greatly appreciated

sherry

Sherry

To find which components are missing, first you need to find the files associated to that error. I'll do the following while installing the application through wmi

1. Download the Filemon.exe from http://www.sysinternals.co
2. Run Filemon.ex
3. Run application that generates the erro
4. Search for error in filemon output windo
5. Once missing files are identified, perform a custom search on TD on that file
6. Add the component that was found in TD custom searc

Hope this helps

----- sherry wrote: ----

My application failed to initialize wmi. IWbemLocator::ConnectServer(..) failed with ret code 0x80004002. Error look up showed this code is "No such interface supported ". I have installed following WMI related components
wmi core, wmi corerelation, wmi filter

This seems a generic error for any component required is missing. Anyone has an idea what's required? How can I test if wmi in my XPe is OK, or how can I find out what component is missing

Your help is greatly appreciated

sherry

KM

sherry,

Assuming you ran your app on XP Pro and everything worked fine...

Have you included a "WMI ... Provider " component?
Also, include the "WMI Command Line Utility" and "WMI Tools" components (at least for testing purposes). It will bring a set of
useful tools you may use to get access (test) to WMI infrastructure. You may use wmic.exe to exercise the IWbemLocator interface
(read docs how to do that).

Also, check if WMI service is started on your target.

--
KM,
BSquare Corporation
My application failed to initialize wmi. IWbemLocator::ConnectServer(..) failed with ret code 0x80004002. Error look up showed
this code is "No such interface supported ". I have installed following WMI related components:
wmi core, wmi corerelation, wmi filter.

This seems a generic error for any component required is missing. Anyone has an idea what's required? How can I test if wmi in my
XPe is OK, or how can I find out what component is missing?

Yes, WMI service is started. I have just added all components has "wmi" in its names. I'll run this and see what happens

An interesting or frustration problem I have is now the RRAS service no longer starts. It gives an error in eventlog
"Cannot load the RAS third party administration DLL component. The following error occurred: The specified module could not be found" in the data section "00000007e" is given

Only thing I did this afternoon is adding some components to the configuration. I didn't delete any

Thanks

Sherr

----- KM wrote: ----

sherry

Assuming you ran your app on XP Pro and everything worked fine..

Have you included a "WMI ... Provider " component
Also, include the "WMI Command Line Utility" and "WMI Tools" components (at least for testing purposes). It will bring a set o
useful tools you may use to get access (test) to WMI infrastructure. You may use wmic.exe to exercise the IWbemLocator interfac
(read docs how to do that)

Also, check if WMI service is started on your target

-
KM
BSquare Corporatio
My application failed to initialize wmi. IWbemLocator::ConnectServer(..) failed with ret code 0x80004002. Error look up showe
this code is "No such interface supported ". I have installed following WMI related components

KM

sherry,

Check if the following components and their dependencies are in your image: "RAS Async adapter", "WAN Miniport", "Network Routing",
"Dial-up Server for Windows".

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...a=group=microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded.*.

--
KM,
BSquare Corporation
Yes, WMI service is started. I have just added all components has "wmi" in its names. I'll run this and see what happens.

An interesting or frustration problem I have is now the RRAS service no longer starts. It gives an error in eventlog:
"Cannot load the RAS third party administration DLL component. The following error occurred: The specified module could not be
found" in the data section "00000007e" is given.

sherry

I've install all components with wmi in it on my XPe. And made sure
wmi, RPC and RRAS services are running before started my application.
The application failed to connect to wmi server. Here is the details:

1. IWbemLocator::ConnectServer(..) failed with ret code 0x80004002.
Error look up showed this code is "No such interface supported".

2. In Application EventLog two warnings:
- Source WinMgmt, Event ID 43, description: WMI ADAP failed to connect
to namespace \\.\root\cimv2 with the following error: 0x80004002
- Source WinMgmt, Event ID 60, description: WMI ADAP was unable to
process the performance libraries: 0x80041001

3. Filemon trace during the application start phase also says
SVCHOST.EXE is trying to open wbemcore.dll in \windows\system32\,
\windows\system\, and \windows\
and reports "FILE NOT FOUND". In fact this file - wbemcore.dll is in
\windows\system32\wbem where it suppose to be.

Why would svchost.exe not looking in wbem directory? Is there a
registry or config setting I need to do?

Thanks for your help.

Sherry

KM

sherry,

Could you confirm that the PATH enviroment variable on your target includes
"%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM"?
If it is not, then one (or some) of components in your Configuration
overwrites the Path value set by the "WMI Core" component (check the
component's Registry section).

KM

"KM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
IWbemLocator::ConnectServer(..) failed with ret code 0x80004002. Error look
up showed

sherry

KM:

Which component's registry should I check?
How can I check the system path variable? I used cmd "path" which
shows nothing is defined. I assume this command only shows me the user
defined path. How can I see the system path variable in XPe?

thanks,

Sherry

KM

sherry,

I was referring to "WMI Core" component. However, I think (and that might be your problem) there are quite a few component that
overwrite the Path value.
If you check the "WMI Core" component' registry section, you will notice the "path" string value
([HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment] key). This is your Path environment variable.

You can first try an easy test - add the "%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM" to your Path var (something like "set
Path=%path%;%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM") and see if it helps with your issues.
Then you can set the Path through your own component using FBA Generic Command calling to cmd.exe with the set command as an
argument. Just set FBA phase number of the FBA Generic Command to a very late phase to make sure nothing overwrites the Path value.

sherry

Thank you very much, KM.

I went to registry session manager and put the wbem path in and
everything worked beautifully :)

The path variable is empty. I don't know why. I'm running my image in
Virtual PC so that I don't have to do frequent FBA at the early stage
of our development.

Thanks again and wish everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Sherry