Wireless Peer-to-Peer

G

I have an interesting situation. At least I think it is. I support several laptop users - we recently purchased new laptops for them. These users typically are deployed in groups to outside locations to perform a specific job where they share confidential data that is collected and reported. (Sometimes the location in not exactly a friendly work environment)

In the past they have shared the data via a zip disk or rewritable CD.

The laptops have wireless capability - I’d like these laptops to be able to transfer the needed data using wireless technology in a peer-to-peer network. They will be wired to the local network when in house. Active Directory is not in use

Due to the sensitivity of the data I’m somewhat skeptical of the security of WEP or Wi-Fi. Do any of the MS security protocols have a role here, i.e. Kerberos, MS-Chap and others?

Thank

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Overview of the WPA Wireless Security Update in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815485&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| I have an interesting situation. At least I think it is. I support several laptop users - we recently
purchased new laptops for them. These users typically are deployed in groups to outside locations to perform
a specific job where they share confidential data that is collected and reported. (Sometimes the location in
not exactly a friendly work environment)
|
| In the past they have shared the data via a zip disk or rewritable CD.
|
| The laptops have wireless capability - I’d like these laptops to be able to transfer the needed data using
wireless technology in a peer-to-peer network. They will be wired to the local network when in house. Active
Directory is not in use.
|
| Due to the sensitivity of the data I’m somewhat skeptical of the security of WEP or Wi-Fi. Do any of the MS
security protocols have a role here, i.e. Kerberos, MS-Chap and others?
|
| Thanks
|

Ask a Question