wireless internet connection

Reaction score
Right what i wont to do is set up another computer a old ish laptop to a wireless internet connection, the reason for this is that im downloading large files and my computer is left on for most of the day, i would leave it on in the night but the fans in it are to loud for me to sleep so i have to turn it off.

First question can u network my computer (windows XP Service pack 2) to a laptop with windows 2000 ? its only got 64mbs of ram so i cant put xp on it

Second question if thats possible then what equipment is need to set it up?

i am with wannadoo broadband atm, but when i signed up it was freeserve, and ive got a copper det modem, im guessing i need a router, can i use my own router with wanadoo ?

third question can i have the laptop downloading with my computer been turned off ?

i think thats about it for no, im on for most of the night so will be coming back to check for replys through the night

many thanks Leow

Covenant

Proud Cruncher
Reaction score
leow.

There should be no problem using 2000 and XP
Not sure what you mean by a copper det modem but the normal way of grtting two comps to use a single bb connection is, as you point ou, a router, but whether Wannadoo will provide technical support for the modem you purchase is another thing (Aol for instance only offically support Netgear but if you know what settings to check other routers work fine )
You can get all varieties of router from just a basic router with which you use your own bb modem up to wireless modem router.
The advantage of going with a router is that you can use either computer to access the net, ie you don't need one to act as a server, so you would be able to leave the laptop running.

Covenat

Reaction score
leow said:
1. First question can u network my computer (windows XP Service pack 2) to a laptop with windows 2000 ? its only got 64mbs of ram so i cant put xp on it

2. Second question if thats possible then what equipment is need to set it up?

i am with wannadoo broadband atm, but when i signed up it was freeserve, and ive got a copper det modem, im guessing i need a router, can i use my own router with wanadoo ?

3. third question can i have the laptop downloading with my computer been turned off ?

1. no i cant set it up for u, but yes u can set this up
ram has no bearing on basic networking capabilites.

2. you have two options to set it up
one is wired connection
the other is wireless connection.

3. yes u can have the main pc turned off providing that your router is on
it all depends on how u set up the networking

too late to explain ill leave that to the professionals on this forum :)

Reaction score
ok so can network the old laptop on windows 2000 with my pc windows xp

i wont to use a wireless router as its whatever one seems to be doing., can u recommend a wireless router? i dont wont to spend a lot of money on one as long as it works then thats good enough. How will installing a router work with my wanadoo broadband. im using the modem that they supplied ? i have to install the wanadoo software to be able to connect to my account, but if i install the router software then it wont connect to my account or will it ?

Also once i have my network setup how will i transfer the files ive downloaded over to my pc ?

Covenant

Proud Cruncher
Reaction score
Netgear, DLink, Zoom - all reasonable names to check out, however, you might wish to look on the Wanadoo site to see if they recommend one for which they provide tech support. If you have a look round you will find DLink starter kits (router + one wireless USB device) for about £50. These will have a built in modem as well so you won't have to use your old modem.
When you come to set the router up, you will go online to the manufacturers site and supply your Wanadoo user name and password which allows you access to the net thru' the router. But like I said earlier, make sure you out the Wanadoo site in case they have any particular specifications.

Covenant

Ask a Question