Windows XP WinXP security computer runs at night without user intervention

Reaction score
I have a Acer portable 5002 with an AMD cpu pretty standard fare WinXP sp3 fully patched with Windows Defender.

The other day I was looking at the logs and found that my computer started at 419am when I was sleeping . I found that there was a local console logon by the only user - no security has been applied/no user password, and then there was a network logon by the network user. Windows Defender appeared to start an update but there were errors mpsubmission/mptelemetry and no indication of completion and there was not indication of shutdown such as services stopping and event log stopping. The computer was in my computer bag .

What would or could cause the computer to start without user intervention?

Hacking? or a device?

Any ideas or information would be helpful.

Reaction score
oldcomputergeezer said:
I have a Acer portable 5002 with an AMD cpu pretty standard fare WinXP sp3 fully patched with Windows Defender.

The other day I was looking at the logs and found that my computer started at 419am when I was sleeping . I found that there was a local console logon by the only user - no security has been applied/no user password, and then there was a network logon by the network user. Windows Defender appeared to start an update but there were errors mpsubmission/mptelemetry and no indication of completion and there was not indication of shutdown such as services stopping and event log stopping. The computer was in my computer bag .

Hacking? or a device?

Any ideas or information would be helpful.

OK i'm a bit confused by the way you have written this post, but will try and answer it for you..How do you conect your laptop to the outside world..?Wirelss?? If so what security are you using..?Are you the only user..? Does your laptop require a password to logon..?Then last but not lest, when your day is up on your laptop, how do you shut it down..?If you have shut it down correctly nothing but you can start it up again.

Reaction score
This happened to me once.... turned out I had drunk too much and couldn't remember turning it on :p

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score

Hacking? or a device?
... a device, more specific, probably windows defender. You do have some really good AV software, don't you?

Windows does update, no matter what you set "auto-update" to do ... be cruel, take the battery out. :D

:user:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
... a device, more specific, probably windows defender. You do have some really good AV software, don't you?

Windows does update, no matter what you set "auto-update" to do ... be cruel, take the battery out. :D

user.gif

Windows Updates and Windows Defender will update when the computer is switched on, but niether of these can power up a computer..

Ask a Question