    it can see itself ONLY and it sees it's shared drives and folders. Any
    suggestions as to why they are refusing to talk???

    Thanks

    Virgilijus, Mar 13, 2008

  2. Virgilijus

    Byte Guest

    With the lack of info on how you are networked, like wireless, ethernet,
    Linksys, Netgear, etc., a proper response can only be guesswork. Read
    the below info which may be of some help for acess to folders and printer.
    If your setup is a desktop and a laptop. My "wireless" router is NetGear.
    Host should be the desktop PC and Guest the laptop.
    Install the printer on the Host PC. Then using Control Panel>Network
    Setup Wizard, enable File & Printer Sharing and make sure you check the
    box to allow others to print to your printers. Next under Start>Settings>
    Printers, select the printer, check the box to share the printer and assign
    a name. Keep the name short, no blanks, something like Printer2.

    You should now be able to add the printer to your Guest PCs using Start>
    Control Panel>Printers & Faxes>Add Printer. Check the radio button
    "A network printer ..." and then either browse for the printer or enter its
    name (using \\PCName\PrinterName) and continue until finished. Ensure
    that the firewall on your XP PC is set to allow access to remote printers.
    Note: Make sure to include the slashes (\\) in printer name.
    If using XP's native firewall ensure that File and Printer Sharing is
    enabled and that the box with he same name is checked in the Firewall
    exceptions list. The PCName can be found at:

    Rightclick My Computer icon on desktop>Properties>Computer Name tab.
    It may look something like: "Home-66djksjcpv". Don't type the quotes.
    Click "Next" and it should install the printer on the Guest PC when
    it finds it.

    Note: You can follow the same procedure to get access to any drive, folder
    and files from one PC to the other.

    --
    XP - WNP
    Today is the first day of the

    Byte, Mar 13, 2008

  3. Virgilijus

    Virgilijus Guest

    The win2k base unit is connected to a Linksys WRT54G. The winxp notebook
    talks wirelessly and/or via a cat-5 to the Linksys.

    As I stated before, the win2k base does display the winxp notebook when I
    have it search in the "my network places" / Entire Network / Microsoft
    windows Network / and I click on the workgroup name, but when I double click
    on the icon for the notebook , that is when it gives me the error. The
    notebook ONLY sees itself and no one else.....

    Virgilijus, Mar 13, 2008