WINS migration

Z

Ziek

does anybody know a neat way to migrate WINS off of NT4?

We inplaced our NT4 domain into w2k3 but the WINS remained on NT4. We want
to migrate wins to w2k3, but not sure how to do it so that all the servers
and clients are using the new wins boxes.

Servers will have to have their settings manually updated, but clients can
get their settings through DHCP. My issue is that due to lease times, some
clients will want to register on the old WINS while others on the new and
I'm not sure how to decommision those old nt4 wins without impacting
anybody..

Any ideas?

R

Robert L [MS-MVP]

copy from http://www.HowToNetworking.com

Migrate a WINS Database from Windows NT 4 Server to Windows 2000 Server HOW TO: Migrate a WINS Database from Windows NT 4 Server to Windows 2000 Server This step-by-step article describes how to install and configure Windows Internet Name Service (WINS) in Windows 2000 Server and how to migrate a WINS database from Windows NT 4.0 Server to Windows 2000 Server. By doing so, the Windows 2000 Server-based computer assumes the role of the WINS server and maintains the WINS database that Windows NT Server 4.0 previously held.
How to migrate a WINS Database from Windows 2000-based WINS server to a Windows 2003-based WINS server How to migrate a WINS Database from Windows 2000-based WINS server to a Windows 2003-based WINS server This step-by-step article describes how to migrate a Windows Internet Name Service (WINS) database from a computer that is running Microsoft Windows 2000 Server to a computer that is running Microsoft Windows Server 2003. When the migration is complete, the computer that is running Windows 2000 Server is removed from the network, and the computer that is running Windows Server 2003 functions as the WINS server.

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services. Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

anybody..

Any ideas?

Z

Ziek

Thanks Robert,

This explains how to move or migrate the WINS database to a new server, but it doesn't answer the question of how to get the clients (workstations) to start using the new WINS servers (after the database is moved). I can re-point everybody to new servers through DHCP scope modification, but because of lease-times, not everybody will be using the new boxes, and if I shut off the old ones, will I not cause impact to the user?

copy from http://www.HowToNetworking.com

Migrate a WINS Database from Windows NT 4 Server to Windows 2000 Server HOW TO: Migrate a WINS Database from Windows NT 4 Server to Windows 2000 Server This step-by-step article describes how to install and configure Windows Internet Name Service (WINS) in Windows 2000 Server and how to migrate a WINS database from Windows NT 4.0 Server to Windows 2000 Server. By doing so, the Windows 2000 Server-based computer assumes the role of the WINS server and maintains the WINS database that Windows NT Server 4.0 previously held.
How to migrate a WINS Database from Windows 2000-based WINS server to a Windows 2003-based WINS server How to migrate a WINS Database from Windows 2000-based WINS server to a Windows 2003-based WINS server This step-by-step article describes how to migrate a Windows Internet Name Service (WINS) database from a computer that is running Microsoft Windows 2000 Server to a computer that is running Microsoft Windows Server 2003. When the migration is complete, the computer that is running Windows 2000 Server is removed from the network, and the computer that is running Windows Server 2003 functions as the WINS server.

Don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services. Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.

anybody..

Any ideas?

P

Phillip Windell

If they are DHCP Clients, change it in the DHCP scope and reboot the
Clients.
Change the statically assigned machine manually.

Shutdown the old WINS.

All done. You don't have to migrate anything unless you have a ton of static
entries in the old WINS.

--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

Thanks Robert,

This explains how to move or migrate the WINS database to a new server, but
it doesn't answer the question of how to get the clients (workstations) to
start using the new WINS servers (after the database is moved). I can
re-point everybody to new servers through DHCP scope modification, but
because of lease-times, not everybody will be using the new boxes, and if I
shut off the old ones, will I not cause impact to the user?

Ask a Question