Windows XP Windows XP upgrade to Vista

Reaction score
Hi, we have Windows XP but everytime the Automatic upgrade trys to work it says we have an illegal copy (which may be the case, though we were assured it was legal, and it all worked fine until SP3). However, we would be quite happy at this point (having had a couple of years of problems like this now) to either upgrade to a legal copy of XP or upgrade to Vista. I'm just not sure what problems we might encounter if we try to do that from what is perceived by Microsoft to be an illegal copy. We don't want to fork out yet more money and end up with the same or worse problems. Any advice would be appreciated (we are not techies, but I can find the Any key these days!).

Reaction score
Go and buy a 'real' copy of Vista!
Trying to upgrade to Vista will be a non-starter!

Back up all data on your pc to a CD-R or DVD-R and reformat your hard drive.
Install the 'real' copy and Microsoft will be happy.

Reaction score
What my capable friend forgot to mention to you is - Make sure your system is capable of running Vista before you buy it!!

Vista has quite high specs if you fall before them you my get very, very poor performance which will only end up with you getting frustrated

Ie

minimum memory requirements for Home basic are 1gig of ram?

Check it out before you buy ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Why bother with the headache of Vista . Do a clean install of XP use AutoPatcher and VistaInspirat 2 and you'll have a stable system that looks like Vista and runs well .

:p:D

Ask a Question