Windows XP SSD tweaks?

John Doe

Paul said:
John Doe wrote:

[Cannot get Windows XP to install]

Would it be easier to install on an ordinary hard drive,

Many things would be easier.

I languished at the DOS prompt for about 24 hours,
formatting/aligning, and investigating. At least there were no signs
of disk corruption or failure, but Windows XP simply would not
install... The Windows XP installation CD persistently coughed up this
message "This disk does not contain a Windows XP-compatible
partition". In fact, the easy solution here was to switch the SATA
data cables. Now Windows XP installs just fine, and backup copies can
be restored to the SSD.

If aligning the OCZ Vertex partition really needs doing, using Windows
7 recovery utility Diskpart makes it easy.

[also taken from the OCC forum]

0 get to the command prompt

1 "diskpart"

2 "list disk"

3 "select disk X" (with X being the number given for your SSD)

4 "clean"

5 "create partition primary align 64"

6 "active"

7 "exit"

8 reboot, format that partition, and install XP

John Doe

Without tweaks...

copy 2.13 GB file from raptor to itself
61 seconds
from the raptor to the SSD
27 seconds
from the SDD to itself
87 seconds

John Doe

If aligning the OCZ Vertex partition really needs doing

I would think that particular tweak would show up in benchmarks, but
there was no difference whatsoever.

My Vertex SSD is labeled "1275". Maybe it was already updated to the
most recent version, published about three weeks ago. The drive felt
kind of warm... haha.

Daniel Prince

It has been more than five months since anyone has posted anything
in this thread. Has anyone learned anything new?

Do SSD's speed up Window XP significantly? Does XP write to one
area of the drive so much as to lower the drive life excessively? Do
any of these drives have a long (non-prorated) warranty? Has anyone
had a SSD fail? It so, how long did you use it and what did you use
it for?

How big of a SS drive is needed to speed up Windows XP Home
significantly? Are there any SSD's that should be avoided? Are
there any SSD's that should be sought out? Thank you in advance for