Does windows xp active cpu's level 2 cache as default?

G

There is a key in windows xp and 2000's register called "SecondLevelDataCache" in the path of " HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" . And the default value is "0". What does it setup for? Some people say it is a switch of cpu L2 cache, "0" means disabled and if you wanna enable it, a value due to your cpu should be set. For example, coppermine pentium III should set "100" for 256k L2 cache and celeron will be "80" for 128k L2 cache. However I just can't believe that Windows Xp disable CPU L2 Cache as defult.

What does that key mean? Please tell me. Thanks a lot! :)

G

Second Level should be at 0 for enabling default value for L2,each processor
installed will show,or should show 0,giving xp full use of L2.

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Windows XP Memory Tweak guide
http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/memory-winxp/xpmem-3.shtml

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| There is a key in windows xp and 2000's register called "SecondLevelDataCache" in the path of "
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" . And the default value
is "0". What does it setup for? Some people say it is a switch of cpu L2 cache, "0" means disabled and if you
wanna enable it, a value due to your cpu should be set. For example, coppermine pentium III should set "100"
for 256k L2 cache and celeron will be "80" for 128k L2 cache. However I just can't believe that Windows Xp
disable CPU L2 Cache as defult.
|
| What does that key mean? Please tell me. Thanks a lot! :)

Ask a Question