Windows XP(SP3) Firewall Slow To Startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by WMB, Feb 26, 2009.

  1. WMB

    WMB Guest

    Windows XP(SP3), Updated regularly

    Hi, if someone has a link to a group for help with the
    Windows Firewall please enclude it.

    Prior to the installation of Windows Live One Care I had no problems with my
    Windows firewall. That was the first time that a Security Suite/Program, I
    installed, had automatically disabled and replaced the Windows firewall.
    Based upon problems that I encountered with Windows Live One Care (Slow
    Start, etc.) I have since removed it on my XP computer. Works fine on my
    Vista, but may still probably remove it. Anyway, I've installed AVG
    Anti-Virus free, on my XP machine and that works great plus its free. Now
    the problem, when the computer boots and every thing has loaded in my System
    tray, bottom right side, I'll wait for about 20/30 seconds and I'll get a
    popup from the system tray telling me that the Windows firewall has not
    started and my Computer my not be protected. This popup normally stays up
    about 10/20 seconds and will go away on its own. At this time, checking the
    firewall shows that it is active. This is new behavior since the removal of
    One Care. Any suggestions foe getting the Windows Firewall to load when
    Windows XP loads, or as it normally should? Thanks for any help.

    WMB, Feb 26, 2009

  2. WMB

    SC Tom Guest

    "WMB" <brown.2005@.comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Windows XP(SP3), Updated regularly
    >
    > Hi, if someone has a link to a group for help with the
    > Windows Firewall please enclude it.
    >
    > Prior to the installation of Windows Live One Care I had no problems with
    > my Windows firewall. That was the first time that a Security
    > Suite/Program, I installed, had automatically disabled and replaced the
    > Windows firewall. Based upon problems that I encountered with Windows Live
    > One Care (Slow Start, etc.) I have since removed it on my XP computer.
    > Works fine on my Vista, but may still probably remove it. Anyway, I've
    > installed AVG Anti-Virus free, on my XP machine and that works great plus
    > its free. Now the problem, when the computer boots and every thing has
    > loaded in my System tray, bottom right side, I'll wait for about 20/30
    > seconds and I'll get a popup from the system tray telling me that the
    > Windows firewall has not started and my Computer my not be protected.
    > This popup normally stays up about 10/20 seconds and will go away on its
    > own. At this time, checking the firewall shows that it is active. This is
    > new behavior since the removal of One Care. Any suggestions foe getting
    > the Windows Firewall to load when Windows XP loads, or as it normally
    > should? Thanks for any help.

    This link may help
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/c/b/4cb845e7-1076-437b-852a-7842a8ab13c8/OneCareCleanUp.exe

    There are a couple of newsgroups for firewalls:
    microsoft.public.windows.live.onecare.firewall and
    microsoft.public.windows.networking.firewall

    SC Tom

    SC Tom, Feb 26, 2009

  3. WMB

    WMB Guest

    Hi SC Tom,
    Thanks for the reply,

    It APPEARS my slow starting Windows Firewall has fixed itself or become
    intermittent. My last couple of reboots did not display the same behavior.
    Of course running your suggestion of the Clean-up tool may have helped. Its
    just that the behavior did not stop immediately. Also, I did add the
    running of Windows Defender. Hopefully everything will continue. Thanks
    again.

    WMB, Feb 27, 2009
  4. WMB

    SC Tom Guest

    Not a problem. Happy to help when I can.

    SC Tom, Feb 27, 2009