Windows XP windows xp search tool

Reaction score
My Search on the Start window has stopped functioning. I get the main window of it but no possibility of writing the entry I wish to search for. Any idea what may have happened? Thank you
Trizia

Reaction score
Open up regedit, and goto: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\
CabinetState

Find the value, or create a new value string called: Use Search Asst

Set this value to: no

Then restart your computer.

Reaction score
Thank you for your answer about recovering Search. However, how do I get to regedit? Thank you.
Trizia

Reaction score
Thank you once again. Please forgive my computer ignorance, but how do I create a new value string in CabinetState. There are several options-- 5 different types of values -- which appear there. Which should I choose?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\
CabinetState

Then restart your computer.[/color][/font]

Reaction score
Problem with Windows xp Search tool
Open up regedit, and goto: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\
CabinetState
Then restart your computer.

I received this answer which I appreciate greatly. But I don't know how to create a new value string in Cabinet State since there are many possibilities which appear there. Could anyone direct me a little further? Thank you kindly. Trizia

Reaction score
Start >Run > Type in regedit > OK

A new window will open..
Find "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\
CabinetState"

Once you have located this..
Goto Edit > New > String Value type in Use Search Asst.
The click anwhere in the panel so Use Search Asst is not highlighted..Then left click over Use Search Asst...Click Modify..and set the value to No...Once you have done this, restart your computer..And away you go

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your help. I was able to recover Search with no trouble. Another difficulty that suddenly affected our notebook is that the icons on the desktop cannot be moved or organized as desired. In Organize Icons we don't have anything selected that would set them in a fixed place. Before we were able to move them at will. Thank you again for your valuable help. Trizia

Reaction score
Follow the link I have added and go to line 233..Once at line 233 double click "Drag and Drop"..when the new window opens click run and away you go..This is a Registry edit that will allow you to move icons around again...Go here for the edit.. Let me know if this was of any help to you

Reaction score
Thanks again for taking the time to help me. In relation to my problem of not being able to move icons on desktop I did as you indicated: I went to kellys-korner-xp.com...
Downloaded Drag and Drop #233.
When I click on it to open and run it, I get the message
Register Editor: Are you sure you want to add the info in C:Documents to Register?
I said Yes. Message appears: It can´t be imported. Errorin opening the file. There may be a system error in the disc or in a file. Any further suggestions? Trizia

Ask a Question