Windows XP Professional Can't Find Windowsupdate, Hotmail or Login to hotmail

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Keith Vaughn, May 18, 2004.

  1. Keith Vaughn

    Keith Vaughn Guest

    Windows XP Professional "Error Code: 0x81000370"

    System: DELL INSPIRON 8100
    1 GHZ Processor
    512 RAM
    20 GB Hard-Drive
    40% FREE
    Operating System: Windows XP SP1A
    Browser: Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1
    MSN Messenger: 6.2

    Recently I found I cannot;
    1.) Browse / Scan for Updates at windowsupdate.com Cannot find the page
    2.) Browse hotmail.com so I cannot Login and retrieve Hotmail
    3.) MSN Messenger 6.2 will not connect displays "Error Code: 0x81000370"

    What I attempted to Fix / resolve this:

    1st: Full System Scan for Virus w/ McAfee (Latest DAT)
    2nd: Disabled Anti-Virus
    3rd: Uninstalled Sygate Firewall 5.5
    4th: Set I.E. 6.0 back to DEFAULT Settings
    5th: Lowered Security Settings to LOW
    6th: Added to TRUSTED SITES;
    microsoft.windowsupdate.com
    hotmail.com
    *Unchecked https:
    7th: Uninstalled Internet Explorer and Reinstalled Internet Explorer
    8th: Uninstalled MSN Messenger 6.2 and Reinstalled MSN Messenger 6.2
    9th: Within Windows XP desktop, I inserted XP CD and "Upgraded" the OS
    10th: Changed Boot Sequence and Booted to XP OS CD and Selected:
    1: C\Windows
    "R" for repair the OS, gave admin password and prompt immediately
    changed to:
    C:\Windows
    Not sure what else to do ?
    Attempting to get MSN Messenger going tonite by;
    a.) Open MSN Messenger 6.2
    Select TOOLS
    Select OPTIONS
    General Tab has 4 Boxes CHECKED
    I'm unchecking Boxes: 1, 3, and 4 (Per Msn /Hotmail Telephone Tech Support)

    Any input on how I can restore I.E. 6.0 so as to allow me to goto and scan for
    updates at: windowsupdate.com
    and to login my hotmail.com account is GREATLY Appreciated
    *Note: I can Browse all over the Internet and even Login to my
    Online Bank and CC accounts, "Just" Microsoft related sites
    I can't get to......I can goto the www.microsoft.com site and Browse
    there and goto the Security Pages

    Thank YOU

    Keith Vaughn
    Modesto, CA.

    Keith Vaughn, May 18, 2004

  2. Keith Vaughn

    PA Bear Guest

    Check your system for "hijackware":

    Help with Hijackware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/Darnit.htm

    CoolWebSearch Chronicles

    Run these tools in the following order with nothing else running in
    background:

    1. CWShredder (fix all found)

    2. Ad-Aware (fix all found)

    3. Spybot (RTFM but generally fix everything in red)

    Important: You *must* seek updates for Ad-Aware, Spybot, etc., before each
    and every use, even "right out of the box". But even they can't catch
    everything, 24/7. When all else fails, HijackThis
    (http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe) is the preferred
    tool to use. It will help you to both identify and remove any
    hijackware/spyware. **Post your files to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/ or
    http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**

    [Alternate download pages for many of the above tools may be found at
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.]

    Also update your virus definitions and then run a full system scan. From
    now on, do both daily.

    So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
    http://boards.cexx.org/viewtopic.php?t=957
    --
    HTH - Please Reply to This Thread

    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE), AH-VSOP

    AumHa Forums
    http://forum.aumha.org

    What You Should Know About Spyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/privacy/spyware.mspx

    PA Bear, May 18, 2004

  3. Keith Vaughn

    Guest Guest

    RE: Windows XP Professional Can't Find Windowsupdate, Hotmail or Login

    Keith Im no expert at all but i too had identical probs to yourself last night and this morning, Ive managed to resolve the hotmail and msn groups sign in through help from aol, the only thing that worked was to use keyword 'securefix' through AOL and click OK...hotmail and msn sign in is sorted but still having problems with messenger 6.2 or windows messenger code error 0z81000370...AOL cant help with this unfortunately so I've since written to microsoft with the details of my problem ..this wont help if u aint got AOL tho cause I did do a lot of the solutions u tried first and they didnt work at all.. good luck

    Guest, Jul 18, 2004