Windows XP Pro upgrade

Terry Barker

I am upgrading Windows 98 2nd Ed to Windows XP Pro on
about 30 workstations. I have attempted this upgrade on 3
machines so far. One upgrade went as expected and is
running fine, the other two upgrades went to a blue screen
with the message that drive C is corrupt and the upgrade
installation stopped. I reformatted the C drive
reinstalled Windows 98 2nd Ed and againg attempted
updating to Win XP pro. The same problem occureed, a blue
screen saying that drive C is corrupt. These workstations
are running 400mhz Celeron Processors with 128 MB of RAM.
What can I do to upgrade these PCs.

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Don't install W98 first - try booting from the XP CD and running setup - it
should prompt you to insert the "qualifying product" CD during setup if it's
an upgrade version.

Upgrades in place are rarely the best route - a clean install is always
going to give you better performance.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Error: "Setup Was Unable To Verify Drive"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822796&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You
Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310064&Product=winxp

Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

"Terry Barker" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| I am upgrading Windows 98 2nd Ed to Windows XP Pro on
| about 30 workstations. I have attempted this upgrade on 3
| machines so far. One upgrade went as expected and is
| running fine, the other two upgrades went to a blue screen
| with the message that drive C is corrupt and the upgrade
| installation stopped. I reformatted the C drive
| reinstalled Windows 98 2nd Ed and againg attempted
| updating to Win XP pro. The same problem occureed, a blue
| screen saying that drive C is corrupt. These workstations
| are running 400mhz Celeron Processors with 128 MB of RAM.
| What can I do to upgrade these PCs.

purplehaz

1 - upgrading 30 workstations will probably give you probs with about half
of them. Clean install, especially in a work environment is the better
choice. Remeber to delete partitions, create new ones, and format. The cd
does all of this. There is no need to install win98 first, if you have the
xp upgrade version, then just use the win98 cd as proof during a clean
install.

2 - check this out:
Error: "Setup Was Unable To Verify Drive"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822796&Product=winxp

3 - get more memory for all the machines. A 400mhz celeron is slow enough,
no need to slow it down any more with insufficient ram. XP needs 256mb ram
minimun, 512 reccomended.
(btw - imho, I wouldn't even bother putting XP into old 400 mhz computers.
They will most likely run better with win2k or win9X - I would have spent
the money on a few new computers instead of 30 xp licenses)

John Ski

Upgrades in place are rarely the best route - a clean install is always
going to give you better performance.

If I were an MVP I might say something a little less cocksure and definitive
e.g., "Upgrades in place can sometimes leave you with an unstable system. If
you find that to be the case then a clean install can be done and you've not
lost much time"

Clean up your HD, backup any files you can't afford to lose, scandisk, defrag,
run the "Compatibility Wizard" and follow it's recommendations. It's a WIN/WIN
situation. It will take far less time to try an upgrade(which leaves your files
and progs intact) than it will to reinstall every one of your programs(You have
kept ALL the CDs, licenses, etc...haven't you?)
Oh and have at hand a good suppply of your libation of choice!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

Have you made sure that your PC's hardware components are capable
of supporting WinXP? This information will be found at the PC's
manufacturer's web site, and on Microsoft's Hardware Compatibility
List: (http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/default.asp) Additionally, run
Microsoft WinXP Upgrade Advisor to see if you have any incompatible
hardware components or applications.

You should, before proceeding, take a few minutes to ensure that
there are WinXP device drivers available for all of the machine's
components. There may not be, if the PC was specifically designed for
Win98/Me. Also bear in mind that PCs designed for, sold and run fine
with Win9x/Me very often do not meet WinXP's much more stringent
hardware quality requirements. This is particularly true of many
models in Compaq's consumer-class Presario product line or HP's
consumer-class Pavilion product line. WinXP, like WinNT and Win2K
before it, is quite sensitive to borderline defective hardware
(particularly motherboards, RAM and hard drives) that will still
support Win9x.

HOW TO Prepare to Upgrade Win98 or WinMe
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q316639

HOW TO Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You
Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q310064

Bruce Chambers

--