Windows XP Windows xp pro repair install crash @ registering components

Reaction score
I was overclocking my computer and I guess I went too far because when I loaded windows it said windows/system32/config/system is corrupt.

So I thought I went too far on my overclock so I backed off and lowered the settings and I still got that message. So I went completely to stock and I got the samething. So I'm thinking oh crap.

I dig up my xp disc and go ahead through the process and I get to registering components phase of the repair and it'll go to like 1/3rd of the way on the progress bar then it crashes.

So I go though the repair thing like 5 times and I still get the same thing. I took out all my pci cards (sound card and wireless internet) still the same thing.

What can I do to make the repair install to go through all the way. I really dont want to have to reinstall everything.

thanx

Reaction score
Hi there, i think the time you're waiting for an answer, you could have reinstalled everything and started working!!!
LOL

;-)

Reaction score
I have two sticks but i also tried one stick and still crashes at the point. I can do a regular install alright which is what im using now but i have too much stuff on my other windows and it would be a huge hassle to have to reinstall everything.

Ask a Question