Windows 11 Are you using Windows 11 yet?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
How many of you guys are using Windows 11 so far? It seems pretty mature from what I can see so far, but I'm still not using it as my main OS yet. I've got it running on 1 machine and as VM for testing, but I might roll it out to my main PC in the coming weeks.

What are your thoughts on it so far?

I'm really enjoying the new look, especially the updated settings panel! I just hope the store improvements continue.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Is it available to all or do we have to be invited to download it?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Whats that mean ? :confused:
It's "Trusted Platform Module" - a separate chip or embedded in to modern CPUs, which mean that you're able to use secure authentication.

It's been around for a while and TPM 2.0 was released in ~2014, with 1.1 in use for a while before that. Only relatively modern PCs have support for it. Windows 11 requires TPM 2.0 at the moment, so some computers that run Windows 10 won't be able to run 11, even though it's only the lack of TPM 2.0 support holding it back.

There will almost certainly be workarounds left open, so that users without TPM 2.0 can use Windows 11 at their own risk. It's an attempt to improve security/privacy, as without it you can't easily use Bitlocker encryption and a few other things. Most phones have something similar and have done for years, so it's an attempt to force hardware improvements.

If you run "tpm.msc" from Windows 10, you'll see the "specification version" of TPM you have (if at all).

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
If you run "tpm.msc" from Windows 10, you'll see the "specification version" of TPM you have (if at all).
Not quite so ... I have TPM 2.0, I checked my motherboard manual & BIOS, but Win 10 say it cannot find the module. I haven't 'turned it on' in the BIOS :rolleyes:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Is it available to all or do we have to be invited to download it?
Be aware, it's not been officially released yet.

"Windows 11 isn’t here yet, but will be coming later this year. If you’re excited, there are some things you can do in the meantime to get ready."

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
I look forward to upgrading to 11. I hope they have figured out some of the update problems they've had. I would hate to have to reinstall everything if something goes wrong. I've been lucky to never suffer major problems when updating.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm not opposed to a new Microsoft OS but in the same way until I wait until games become cheaper and usually only watch films that have made their way to rental or BluRay, I'll wait.

Not too keen on forking out a significant amount of cash for it though.

I just ran tpm.msc and I'm told I don't have TPM 2.0 installed in my Win 10 OS and to turn it on in the BIOS. Motherboard's about two years old, I wonder if the option is available? Any advantages to be gained by enabling?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Yes the TPM provides extra security.
Quite so, quite so :D Only trouble is, forgive me for being cynical but any integrated 'security' in a MS OS just says to me 'Even more spying'.

Here's my test that from the software that Evan linked to:

Attachments

• Win 11 Compatibility.jpg
    Win 11 Compatibility.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 76

Ask a Question