Windows XP windows xp not activated - not genuine

Reaction score
I recently dug out an old lap top to use for study, when I switched on I got a message saying Windows XP home edition needed to be activated so I followed the instructions that came up, no internet connection found so had to use the phone (I remember the days when a person was at the other end) in put my details, got my husband to check I had put the numbers in correctly and all I got was a message saying that I may have been a victim of piracy for further help got to www.microsoft.com/genuine its not a help place its a sell you a new product place so thats no use. I have searched all over microsoft and sent 3 emails to them about this but in a week they have not been polite enough to answer, I have also emailed the people I bought the laptop from and the manufacturer but they too have not answered. I found the discs that came with the laptop and have reset it to factory spec so now have 30days before I am forced to try and activate again. Any suggestions?
It has been mentioned it could be a date issue as the laptop has reset to a date in October 2005. If I change this in the usual way will it make any difference? Or will if just think the 30 days have expired and boot me out?

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
You will have to do something like this:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/genuinewindowsxp/thread/802cffdf-3e49-4523-9ba2-70700209a17b

Microsoft won't answer you for a failed activation, as many installations are pirated. Many COAs are applied as a mass distribution (such as Dell, Compaq, HP) on computers so that the installation can be automated.

Remember, XP has reached its end of life (EOL) and is no longer supported by Microsoft. This could be yet another reason they have failed to respond.

Hope that helps.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum
You can call Microsoft direct on 0870 601 0100 or
0800 0324479. You will get to speak to a real person that will either be able to help you or connect you with the relevant support team. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Re-setting the date in the BIOS may help (service packs). You did use the activation code that was on the laptop? There's usually a sticker underneath the machine with the code.

This usually always results in a phone installation.

Rest the date in the BIOS, start a fresh installation, format the disk when prompted and install again. If a phone activation doesn't work then phone the numbers given above.

Are you installing XP from an XP disk or the 'recovery' disk that came with the laptop?

Ask a Question