Windows XP XP Genuine Advantage Kit

Reaction score
I have been unable to validate my XP after recently receiving information from MS that it is not genuine. I subsequently bought the Genuine Advantage Kit but before I received the CD (I couldn'get the download) the 30 days had run out and my computer has completely locked up.

How do I load my new xp off the cd?

Every time I start up it seems to look for the old version and when it sees it isn't validated everything just stops.

any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Dave Elsy

Reaction score
You need to boot from your XP CD either by pressing F11 F12 or go into the BIOS and set it to boot from the disk drive. Once Windows is installed phone Microsoft up and ask them for a new activation code. When you are in the process of installing XP remember to delete any partitions and format the drives.

That should solve the issue.

Regards

Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt reply, but i need it in words of less than two sylables as I'm a tool user not a tool maker!.

None-technical and key by key please.
I have the correct cd and paperwork including all the numbers.

Instuctions say "Insert cd into CD drive and then restart the computer and follow on screen instructions.".............but as I said earlier, all I get is the Windows must be activated screen....and I can't get out of it.
sorry to be so ignorant

Last edited:
Reaction score
Phone microsoft up and ask them for a activation code. This is an automated service and will ask you to enter the installtion id by blocks there are 6 numbers at a time there are 8 of these. Once you have done this the automated service will give you a actvation code if not then you will be passed to a customer service advisor. Who will give you a activation code.

Hope this helps.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
daveelsy said:
Instuctions say "Insert cd into CD drive and then restart the computer and follow on screen instructions.".............but as I said earlier, all I get is the Windows must be activated screen....and I can't get out of it.
sorry to be so ignorant
You need to 'boot' from the CD - so you have to set up your PC to do that, as at the moment it is booting from your hard drive.

First you have to go into your PC's 'BIOS' - how you do that depends on the make/model of your PC....some involve pressing 'Del' on your keyboard as it boots up, some use other keyboard keys such as F1, F10 etc...HERE are some examples for different makes.

Once into your BIOS, you need to navigate to the 'BOOT' options, where it will list the order of your boot devices as 1,2,3..etc.

Make your CD Drive the Number 1 boot device, then save the setting and exit the BIOS...your PC will then boot up and you will get that activation screen again.

Insert the CD into the CD Drive, and then re-boot your PC.

The PC should now boot from that CD and you will then get the onscreen instructions.

Ask a Question