windows XP installation

Discussion in 'Windows XP Setup' started by Kelly, Oct 6, 2004.

  1. Kelly

    Kelly Guest

    I have just finnished building a new PC. it has all brand
    new hardware. I checked and double checked to make
    certain that all the hardware is compatible. I have the
    windows XP Home Edition OEM SP1a version of the Operating
    System. When I power up the PC, it goes through the post
    porcess and prompts me to boot from CD. However, when I
    insert the disc, the blue Windows Setup screen appears
    stating that windows setup is installing files. it then
    appears to do so, and then goes to the blue screen
    stating that setup will now start windows. However, at
    this point, I get another screen telling me that windows
    is shutting down because there is a problem,and it is
    stopping to prevent damaging my system components. this
    message is followed by a series of suggestions about
    checking my hardware and possible driver & bios updates.
    Finally I receive an error message at the bottom of the
    screen stating the following.
    Stop: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF7C4E690,
    0xF7CF9CD8,0xF7CF99D8)

    SERENUM.SYS-ADDRESS F7C4E690 base at F7C4E000, dateSTAMP
    3b7d8385

    Can anyone explain what this means, and how to fix it?

    Kelly, Oct 6, 2004

  2. Kelly;
    Look here for your error:
    http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x7e
    And:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330182

    Power off open case and reseat all cards and cables.
    If you have multiple memory sticks, remove/swap out making sure to
    stay above Windows XP 64MB minimum.

    Are you using a drive overlay software or any 3rd party tools to
    partition the drive?
    Don't, let Windows XP do it all:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/cleanxp.htm

    --