Windows XP Install -- Many Tries, no Success

DanC

I have the classic "unable to install Windows XP" problem (which seems
to be one without any certain fix). The install dies at various points
in copying files...or sometimes earlier or later in the process. I've
tried a variety of everything except changing the CPU (XP 2600) as
follows:

2 cases, each with a different PS
at least 2 HDDs
2 different DDR DIMMs
2 mobos (Soyo K7VME, DFI KT600-AL)
2 XP CDs
2 CD drives
more than 2 sets of IDE cables

I've tried varying more-relaxed DIMM clocking and HDD settings (no
UDMA, various PIO) without luck.

With the KT600-AL board with I just purchased (BIOS has been upgraded
to latest available from DFI), I have had it lock up (no response to
keyboard) in various areas of the CMOS a couple times, but most of the
time it's fine. Right now, with the "fail-safe" settings, I get into
the Windows XP install and then it hangs somewhere along the way.

According to the BIOS the CPU is running at around 40 deg C, which is
not a problem.

Original PS was: LC-B300ATX
(http://www.basixproducts.com/tests/power/)
+3.3 28A, +5 30A, +12 15A, -12 0.8A, -5 0.3A, +5VSB 2A

CPU: AXDA2600DVK3D

Current RAM is PC2700, SpecTek P/N: P64M648HHJ-6A
(http://www.spectek.com/menus/memory_module.asp?mem_type=DDR&prodType=mem_module)

Awhile back I bought a Kingston ValueRAM 256MB module to verify that
the RAM wasn't the problem, and I got the same results (and then
returned the Kingston module).

Completed 7 full cycles of memtest86 without any errors being
reported. So, at least I know the RAM is good, and nothing else (CPU)
seemed to gack either. Maybe that leaves PS...I guess I will have to
take apart my other PC and try it's PS again...

I've now switched the Antec SmartPower300 PS
(http://www.antec.com/us/pro_details_powerSupply.php?ProdID=25300)
into the case. I got it to start copying files, and it hung at 9%. I
then chose some of the Fail-Safe BIOS options (2.5CAS for RAM,
disabled IDE prefetch, disabled UDMA), restarted, and then I got a
BSOD copying files:
0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xF84D71F1, 0xF80C4804, 0x00000000)
setupdd.sys

After a couple more tries, got various "cannot copy this file error"
and then hung again copying files at 52%. All the MS QB articles say
this is a RAM-related problem...but memtest86 says the RAM is good!!

Then I took it as far as using boot disks and an old 6X CD-ROM (that
can't be too fast reading!) and still hangs during file copy.

Looking for ideas of where to go from here, help!

Carey Frisch [MVP]

How to troubleshoot problems during installation
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310064&Product=winxp

In the U.S. call 1-425-635-3311 for installation support assistance.

For a complete list of Microsoft Product Support Services phone
numbers, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;CNTACTMS

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

|I have the classic "unable to install Windows XP" problem (which seems
| to be one without any certain fix). The install dies at various points
| in copying files...or sometimes earlier or later in the process. I've
| tried a variety of everything except changing the CPU (XP 2600) as
| follows:
|
| 2 cases, each with a different PS
| at least 2 HDDs
| 2 different DDR DIMMs
| 2 mobos (Soyo K7VME, DFI KT600-AL)
| 2 XP CDs
| 2 CD drives
| more than 2 sets of IDE cables
|
| I've tried varying more-relaxed DIMM clocking and HDD settings (no
| UDMA, various PIO) without luck.
|
| With the KT600-AL board with I just purchased (BIOS has been upgraded
| to latest available from DFI), I have had it lock up (no response to
| keyboard) in various areas of the CMOS a couple times, but most of the
| time it's fine. Right now, with the "fail-safe" settings, I get into
| the Windows XP install and then it hangs somewhere along the way.
|
| According to the BIOS the CPU is running at around 40 deg C, which is
| not a problem.
|
| Original PS was: LC-B300ATX
| (http://www.basixproducts.com/tests/power/)
| +3.3 28A, +5 30A, +12 15A, -12 0.8A, -5 0.3A, +5VSB 2A
|
| CPU: AXDA2600DVK3D
|
| Current RAM is PC2700, SpecTek P/N: P64M648HHJ-6A
| (http://www.spectek.com/menus/memory_module.asp?mem_type=DDR&prodType=mem_module)
|
| Awhile back I bought a Kingston ValueRAM 256MB module to verify that
| the RAM wasn't the problem, and I got the same results (and then
| returned the Kingston module).
|
| Completed 7 full cycles of memtest86 without any errors being
| reported. So, at least I know the RAM is good, and nothing else (CPU)
| seemed to gack either. Maybe that leaves PS...I guess I will have to
| take apart my other PC and try it's PS again...
|
| I've now switched the Antec SmartPower300 PS
| (http://www.antec.com/us/pro_details_powerSupply.php?ProdID=25300)
| into the case. I got it to start copying files, and it hung at 9%. I
| then chose some of the Fail-Safe BIOS options (2.5CAS for RAM,
| disabled IDE prefetch, disabled UDMA), restarted, and then I got a
| BSOD copying files:
| 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xF84D71F1, 0xF80C4804, 0x00000000)
| setupdd.sys
|
| After a couple more tries, got various "cannot copy this file error"
| and then hung again copying files at 52%. All the MS QB articles say
| this is a RAM-related problem...but memtest86 says the RAM is good!!
|
| Then I took it as far as using boot disks and an old 6X CD-ROM (that
| can't be too fast reading!) and still hangs during file copy.
|
| Looking for ideas of where to go from here, help!

DanC

Carey,

Thanks for the reply. I'm well-aware of this article and probably
every other one on MS's site -- not to mention having read 20+ threads
and a similar number of 3rd party sites relating to this problem.

I bought a new RAM module and a new hard drive today -- exact same
results, it is still hanging during copying files.

What I'm looking for are "outside the box" ideas as to what I could
have possibly overlooked. At the moment, I think that the only thing I
haven't tried 2 of is the CPU, so I will probably get another one
tomorrow and give that a go.

If that doesn't work, then there is something seriously wrong with
Windows XP and/or its installer because this is getting really
ridiculous. :)

Lee S

The XP cd's you used are they copies or originals? OEM or retail? perhaps
they're OEM cd's and that's your problem. You need to buy a new copy of XP
retail.

Davie261

I have a failed install from oem xp pro CD on new HD
because of can't copy file error from cd says its corrupt.
How do I get my replacement because copys cant be made. I
payed Comp USA for several OEM copies of XP for computers
I build for my business.
PS Is there a difference betweeen oem and retail in
quality? Better not be...
Dave

Lee S

Here's the diferences between oem and retail:
1-if you own a retail version you can install in any pc you build, meaning
if you build a new pc today you can use the same retail cd to install
windows but you MUST uninstall windows from your other PC unless you buy
more licences.
2-if you own an oem version then that cd only works in the pc that was first
install as the licences are not transferable.
I don't think Compusa sells oem cd to the public, the only oem cd's they
provide they're package with the pc's they sell. if you paid someone for the
oem cd's only then you were taken for a long ride. good luck.

DanC

Lee,

Thanks for the reply!

I have actually tried (to keep with the theme!) two different XP CDs.
One is an original (first release) XP (not OEM) CD, and the other is
an XP SP 1 CD that is part of an MSDN subscription. I get the same
results with both. :(

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jo=E3o_Paulo_Carvalho?=

I,ve exactally the same error.
I built another PC (everything new!!!! - except Hard Drive, Monitor,
Keyb and Mouse), and STILL HAVE THE SOME ERROR!!!!
i've done everything (kill the bios caches, shadow and all), STILL NOT
WORKING

CPU's are AMD XP1.9 and XP2.8
Good 512Mb Ram DDR 400
even bought a 200 € Case Box, a extra 60 € cooler, a 150 € Mobo ...
all top (almost) quality...

one of the errors (may change) example:

Technical information
*** STOP-. 0x0000008E (0xC00000005, 0xF84D90FF, 0xF80BC9B4,
0x00000000)
*** setupdd.sys - Adress F84D90FF base at F84A2000, Datestamp 3b7d8507

help me please!!!!!