Windows XP can't find driver for USB Mass Storage (No driver should be required)

Discussion in 'Windows XP Configuration' started by Steve Frank, Mar 1, 2006.

  1. Steve Frank

    Steve Frank Guest

    I tried this over in the help_and_support group with no response, so I
    thought I would try it here. Hope someone can help.

    I had to do a clean install of XP on my kid's computer as it had become
    bogged down with adware and spyware to the point of being unusable. I used
    a different hard drive and installed XP as I had the first time. All went
    well, and I installed SP2 and all other critical updates. My son tried to
    connect his mp3 player as he had done in the past, and the PC recognized it,
    but it did the found new hardware routine instead of automatically
    installing the driver (which it should have). It was looking for a driver.
    The device has no
    specific driver for win2000 or XP, and it is recognized and loaded
    automatically on my other XP machine. The same holds true for my flash card
    reader and my USB hard drive.

    Any idea how I can make XP recognize these devices? I'd hate to have to
    reinstall yet again.

    thanks,

    Steve Frank

    Steve Frank, Mar 1, 2006

  2. Steve Frank

    Rich Barry Guest

    Steve, try rt clicking on MyComputer>select Properties>Hardware>Device
    Manager>View>Show Hidden Devices>USB
    Controllers>rt click on each one and choose Uninstall. Restart and let XP
    reload them. Try the MP3 Player again.

    Rich Barry, Mar 2, 2006

  3. Steve Frank

    Steve Frank Guest

    Rich Barry wrote:
    > Steve, try rt clicking on MyComputer>select
    > Properties>Hardware>Device Manager>View>Show Hidden Devices>USB
    > Controllers>rt click on each one and choose Uninstall. Restart and
    > let XP reload them. Try the MP3 Player again.
    > "Steve Frank" <> wrote in message

    I've already deleted the visible USB Controllers, but perhaps there are
    hidden ones as well. I'll give it a try thanks.

    Steve

    Steve Frank, Mar 2, 2006
  4. It was Thu, 2 Mar 2006 14:57:11 -0500, and Steve Frank popped the nose
    over the fence around microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage, and
    said...
    |Rich Barry wrote:
    |> Steve, try rt clicking on MyComputer>select
    |> Properties>Hardware>Device Manager>View>Show Hidden Devices>USB
    |> Controllers>rt click on each one and choose Uninstall. Restart and
    |> let XP reload them. Try the MP3 Player again.
    |> "Steve Frank" <> wrote in message
    |
    |I've already deleted the visible USB Controllers, but perhaps there are
    |hidden ones as well. I'll give it a try thanks.
    |
    |Steve

    Don't forget to add the key to show REALLY all in your devices' registry
    area...

    Right click on "My Computer", then "Properties", "Advanced" tab,
    "Environment variables" button. Under the "System variables" area, click on
    "New", then in "Variable name" put this: DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES and
    in the value 1.
    Close all (OK's to everything), start "devmgmt.msc" from the Start menu
    "Run..." command prompt and tick the "View|Show hidden devices" menu item.
    Surprise!!!

    HTH

    --
    ßødincµs²ººº · The Y2K Druid

    ßødincµs²ººº, Mar 2, 2006
  5. Steve Frank

    Steve Frank Guest

    ßødincµs²ººº wrote:
    > It was Thu, 2 Mar 2006 14:57:11 -0500, and Steve Frank popped the nose
    > over the fence around
    > microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage, and said...
    >> Rich Barry wrote:
    >>> Steve, try rt clicking on MyComputer>select
    >>> Properties>Hardware>Device Manager>View>Show Hidden Devices>USB
    >>> Controllers>rt click on each one and choose Uninstall. Restart
    >>> and let XP reload them. Try the MP3 Player again.
    >>> "Steve Frank" <> wrote in message

    >> I've already deleted the visible USB Controllers, but perhaps there
    >> are hidden ones as well. I'll give it a try thanks.
    >>
    >> Steve
    >>

    > Don't forget to add the key to show REALLY all in your devices'
    > registry area...
    >
    > Right click on "My Computer", then "Properties", "Advanced" tab,
    > "Environment variables" button. Under the "System variables" area,
    > click on "New", then in "Variable name" put this:
    > DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES and in the value 1.
    > Close all (OK's to everything), start "devmgmt.msc" from the Start
    > menu "Run..." command prompt and tick the "View|Show hidden devices"
    > menu item. Surprise!!!
    >
    > HTH

    I'll give your suggestion a try, as the above one didn't reveal any new usb
    devices, and the problem persists. I'm trying to remember in what order I
    did things on this machine the last time I installed XP. I don't remember
    if I had most devices installed before I applied SP2 or not. I'm reading
    that SP2 can cause some trouble with some USB controllers and devices.

    Steve Frank

    Steve Frank, Mar 3, 2006