Windows Update - Admin Required

TinMan

I've been battling this for weeks.

I've got XP Pro
When I go the the WindowsUpdate site it tells me I can't update unless I am
a member of the administrators group.

At the time I one user who was and always had been in the administrator's
group and had performed countless updates. (My problems started just before
SP 2 was released).

Since then, in an attempt to fix it, I've created a new user with admin
privileges. Same results.

I've logged in as the administrator - same results.

I've renames the catroot2 folder under system32 - No help.

I tried to remove the "nowindowsupdate" from the registry as suggested on
the MS site, but the entry did not exist.

I tried changing the permissions in the registry to allow everyone
privileges to WindowsUpdate, but that was already the case. I also passed
those permissions on to all child entries.

I am not part of a domain. Never have been. There are no network policies in
place. I've tried it with Windows Firewall off and on. Other PC's behind my
router are able to access the updates.

I've logged into Safe Mode with network access as both THE ADMINISTRATOR and
an admin user, with the same results.

I've searched high and low for a fix and am at wit's end, but I'm having a
couple of other issues and I really need to get the updates.

Someone surely has been here before. Please give me an idea I've not tried.

Rock

TinMan said:
[...]

You might want to post this to the experts in the Windows Update
Newsgroup: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsupdate

TinMan

Thanks. I will.

Rock said:
You might want to post this to the experts in the Windows Update
Newsgroup: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsupdate

TinMan

Thanks, but I've done ALL of those things. For what it's worth, none of the
"causes" of this behavior exist, but I did them all anyway and still no
change.

There's still another fix, I just can't find it.

Tin

Arvi Laanemets

Hi

Is your computer in some domain (is LAN network connection existing)? When
yes, have you logged in locally, or into domain (try it again when logged in
locally - as local user with adimistrator rights).

Arvi Laanemets

TinMan

No domain. It's on a simple peer to peer home LAN.

No network logon.

Thanks though.
Tin

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

I know you said other computers access Windows Update OK.
Are they also Windows XP Pro?
Have you still tried this computer bypassing the router as well as anything
else between the computer and the internet?

TinMan

1 is XP Pro, the other XP Home.

No, I haven't bypassed the router. That's not practical, but I've swapped
routers out once. No difference.

Thanks for hanging in there with me on this.

Tin