Windows Server 2000--DNS Help

WouldRatherProgram

I have a windows 2000 server machine with AD and exchange 2000
installed. Everything is working fine except name resolution. I can
ping an IP address and return a name from that. However, I cannot ping
a name and return an IP address. I'm confused as to where the problem
is. I thought it was in the reverse dns lookup zone but I have had no
luck with that. I've recreated both zones several times per
microsoft's instructions. When I ping a device by name it sends all
echo requests to http://www.whatever.com. Whatever is the name of the
domain and a corresponding www.whatever.com exists. Where are the
settings for this and what should they be? This is a native 2k domain
and I am using DHCP:

DNS SETTINGS:
forward lookup zone records-
[1]State of authority
[2]Name Service
[3]Host

Reverse lookup zone records-
[1]State of authority
[2]Name Service

DHCP SETTINGS:
Scope set up
SERVER OPTIONS
006 DNS SERVERS Standard insideIP

Any help would be appreciated.

Ellen Prater [MSFT]

From: (e-mail address removed) (WouldRatherProgram)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
Subject: Windows Server 2000--DNS Help
Date: 13 Oct 2003 13:27:13 -0700
[...]

Is your Internal dns namespace the same as your external namespace? It is
best for these to be different, i.e. your internal namespace would be
domainame.local and your external namespace would be domainname.com. Make
sure that none of your network cards point to dns servers on the internet.
Everyone, including servers, should point to your internal DNS server
which forwards all requests out to the internet. Make sure that your dns
zones are configured for dynamic updates.

OR if you wish to include a script sample in your post please add "Use of
included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm"