    still goes on what should I do I am on a limited income
    and if windows always acts like this Should I go to a
    differant operating system or what? i am tired of this !

    Michael Kline, Feb 11, 2004

  2. What you're probably talking about is a bugcheck, more commonly known as The
    Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). The reason you don't see any blue screen,
    though, is by default, Windows 2000 automatically reboots. You can change
    this behaviour by right-clicking on My Computer, choosing Properties,
    choosing the Advanced tab, and clicking on Startup and Recovery. Deselect
    "Automatically reboot".

    As for what's causing your problem, BSOD's are caused by misbehaving drivers
    or misbehaving hardware. Virus scanners often use file system drivers to
    aid in their work.

    My suggestion to you would be to remove your virus scanning and spyware
    scanning software for a while, and see if the problem goes away. If so,
    then contact the vendors of those pieces of software for help, or get new
    virus and/or spyware scanning software.

    --
    John Phillips
    MVP - Windows SDK

    John Phillips, Feb 11, 2004

  3. Michael Kline

    Jeff Kish Guest

    On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:13:16 -0500, "John Phillips"
    <> wrote:

    >What you're probably talking about is a bugcheck, more commonly known as The
    >Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). The reason you don't see any blue screen,
    >though, is by default, Windows 2000 automatically reboots. You can change
    >this behaviour by right-clicking on My Computer, choosing Properties,
    >choosing the Advanced tab, and clicking on Startup and Recovery. Deselect
    >"Automatically reboot".
    >
    >As for what's causing your problem, BSOD's are caused by misbehaving drivers
    >or misbehaving hardware. Virus scanners often use file system drivers to
    >aid in their work.
    >
    >My suggestion to you would be to remove your virus scanning and spyware
    >scanning software for a while, and see if the problem goes away. If so,
    >then contact the vendors of those pieces of software for help, or get new
    >virus and/or spyware scanning software.

    He could also (couldn't he) change to plain vanilla VGA boot and see if the
    problem goes away (verifying it is something to do with interaction between
    the video driver and the software in use if it does not happen with plain
    vanilla VGA).
    right?

    Jeff Kish

    Jeff Kish, Feb 12, 2004
  4. Sure, that's not a bad idea. The general idea for isolating BSODs (without
    crawling through all the core dumps etc...I just don't think the OP is
    equipped for it) would be to keep disabling hardware devices until the
    problem goes away. So if changing to VGA doesn't work, then maybe disabling
    the NIC, or modem, or sound card, or reverting to older drivers, etc.

    --
    John Phillips
    MVP - Windows SDK

    John Phillips, Feb 12, 2004