Windows XP Windows Re Activate

Reaction score
I know living in remote Thailand was a choice I made for my retirement and therefore am stuck with the joy and consequences of that choice.

I bought Windows XP Pro directly from Microsoft and was able to install and activate it with no problems at all. For various reasons it has been necessary for me to reinstall several times. Power outage gave me disk crash, bought new disk later on, tried the pre release of VISTA and crashed my xp. In any event the last reinstall and activate forced me to the alternative telephone support activation because I had activated too many times. I am legitimate in every way and trying desperately to stay that way and have gone through a lot of trouble to that end.

Telephone support does not work because our land line is and has been out of order for two months because someone stole 200 meters of the telephone lines to our village and the telephone company is reluctant to install again fearing that someone will steal the lines again, so I have no land line.

Cell phone activation is out of the question because big fingers and bi-focals are prone to errors in input and thus several attempts have failed to successfully input the 54 digits needed to get through the activation. So I had Satellite dish installed and tried to use Internet phone to call the activation hot line only to have both Skype and Yahoo fail to connect to the Singapore number provided.

When I originally purchased the xp pro from Microsoft direct I was provided with the necessary ID numbers by email and am trying to find a way to that as a solution for my current problem. It is urgent in that I now have 4 days left or I will be bitten by the "You have not Activated Bug" and have no idea the consequences of that, nor do I wish to find out.

So as things now stand I have but one option left and that is to reinstall Windows and hope to get a new 30 day opportunity to Activate.

I sent an email request to Microsoft Online Support and they didn't even read the request but merely told me to call Microsoft Thailand, which of course is not an option since I have no workable phone.

Anyone have any suggestions on any way to proceed and stay legal with my installation. The system I am worried about is one that I keep for the local kids to use to do their homework and I sure don't want to remove that resource from their very limited set of tools to try to learn something.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Sign me " About as frustrated as anyone can be trying activate, a legal legitimate copy of Windows XP Pro"

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You not got a call box near you?

And sorry but any mention again of illegal copy purchases and this thread gets zapped.

Yes, we know they're there but we're a public Forum and thus vulnerable to lawsuits and legal action for talking of things illegal.

Reaction score
I regret the error and of course will go back and edit it out if I am allowed to do that.

There is no call box of any kind near here, but even if there was all the telephone lines were literally stolen and no land line service is available.

Thank you for catching my indiscretion and I will be more careful on any future posts.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Seems like a bit of a pickle to be in!

Is it possible to get someone else to enter it via cell phone?

Reaction score
I have had my wife assist me with same results which of course is understandable since it is not a matter of sequentially entering the numbers, but rather you enter some, I think the first 6 and that tells the system it is legitimate copy, then the rest of the process you have to follow the instructions that come up. Since my wife is Thai and all others around me are Thai that is another hurdle to get over.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Reaction score
Update:

I am not sure about the Microsoft Online support people and their ability to read English with understanding. I got a reply to my reply to the original post asking that they not just give me the telephone number for Thailand and think they have helped me, but rather to read the original request.

They responded to my reply with exactly the same message that I got with my original reply and now I have written to two of the managers hoping someone will at least read the request and give me some help, or tell me there is no soluution or something beside just telling me to call the Thailand office or visit the Thai Microsoft web site.

So far I have reloaded Windows XP and again have 30 days to get it activated, but of course I am not able to download any updates since it is not activated and I must go through the WGA program to download any updates. So now I am in a pickle but will reload enough software that the kids can again use the computer for their school work at least, and hope that Microsoft can help me from the help line.

Reaction score
I am happy to report that my XP installion is now Activated. I cannot however tell you what the answer was permitting it to Activate.

I simply tried Register and Activate again and much to my surprise it came back as Activated and registered.

I know not the reasons but do know that I wrote to mamagers of the two Microsort online support people asking the managers to be sure their people could read English and ask them to look again at my original request. Did they go tweak something? did they refer it to someone that could? I do not know the answers and since neither of the managers has responded to me I have no way of knowing why I am OK all of a sudden.

Happy at last even though I would still love to have a lland line installed.

Ask a Question