From: "Jim" <[email protected]>
Subject: Windows Picture and fax viewer
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 17:29:54 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.applications

Can anyone tell me what application Windows Picture and
Fax Viewer comes from. I have always had it in Win 2000
Pro and also in XP Home but on my brothers Dell 166
laptop running Win 2000 Pro it is missing. Thanks in
advance.

Jim
--

Jim,

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is part of the Shimgvw.dll file that comes with Windows 2000 and Windows XP. Normally
certain file extensions, like JPG, are associated to use this DLL to open when double clicked. I have never seen an icon for
Windows Picture and Fax Viewer on the Start menu but you could create one. If your brother has installed another graphics
program that changed the file associations then he would not see these files open in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

If he has not installed another graphics program and files, like JPG, do not open in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, make
sure the file Shimgvw.dll is in the %systemroot%\system32 folder and then run the following command to reregistry the DLL
file:

regsvr32 schimgvw.dll

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.