    what's the difference? When i copy and paste as an image, I always select
    windows metafile fo rno reason. now I'm curious, what's the difference?

    Tom

    Guest, Jun 30, 2005

  2. In article <>, Tom wrote:
    > what's the difference? When i copy and paste as an image, I always select
    > windows metafile fo rno reason. now I'm curious, what's the difference?

    If you're copy/pasting bitmap graphics (ie, photos, scans, like that) you're
    generally better off not doing it at all (best to save to file then Insert,
    Picture, From File to bring the file into PPT). If that's a non-starter for
    whatever reason, choose PNG or JPG for this type of graphics.

    WMFs/EMFs are mostly useful for "vector" graphics. If you can ungroup it and
    get at the individual shapes, text and stuff that makes it up, it's a vector
    graphic.

    EMF and WMF are the same general idea but EMF is a bit newer and can do a
    better job of representing curves and some text.

    Generally try EMF first, if that fails, give WMF a try.

    Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
    PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
    PPTools: www.pptools.com

    Steve Rindsberg, Jun 30, 2005

    Thx for the input. I usually save images as jpg or png then insert picture. I
    only use WMF when i copy and paste stuff, like from excel.

    which method yields the smallest file size? (Inserting jpg or png or pasting
    as WMF or pasting as EMF). Maybe I'll just try it out and report my findings.

    Anyways, thx.
    Tom

    Guest, Jun 30, 2005

    Even when you copy from Excell or other programs (I do it often from
    SigmaPlot) you may wish to use Edit -> Paste Special, which gives you an
    option of using several different formats, including .jpg.
    I think, but am not sure, that if you size your picture in the source
    program (or a photo editor) and then paste special it as jpg you get the best
    trade-off between the size and quality.
    JanAdam

    Guest, Jun 30, 2005
  5. In article <>, Tom wrote:
    > Thx for the input. I usually save images as jpg or png then insert picture. I
    > only use WMF when i copy and paste stuff, like from excel.

    Where it or EMF are your best choices. You're right on track, then.

    > which method yields the smallest file size? (Inserting jpg or png or pasting
    > as WMF or pasting as EMF). Maybe I'll just try it out and report my findings.

    It'll depend on what's in the file. If an image, then WMFs will be huge. If text
    and lines and stuff, then WMF will be much smaller.

    > Anyways, thx.
    > Tom
    >
    > "Steve Rindsberg" wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>, Tom wrote:
    > > > what's the difference? When i copy and paste as an image, I always select
    > > > windows metafile fo rno reason. now I'm curious, what's the difference?

    > > If you're copy/pasting bitmap graphics (ie, photos, scans, like that) you're
    > > generally better off not doing it at all (best to save to file then Insert,
    > > Picture, From File to bring the file into PPT). If that's a non-starter for
    > > whatever reason, choose PNG or JPG for this type of graphics.
    > >
    > > WMFs/EMFs are mostly useful for "vector" graphics. If you can ungroup it and
    > > get at the individual shapes, text and stuff that makes it up, it's a vector
    > > graphic.
    > >
    > > EMF and WMF are the same general idea but EMF is a bit newer and can do a
    > > better job of representing curves and some text.
    > >
    > > Generally try EMF first, if that fails, give WMF a try.

    > > Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
    > > PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
    > > PPTools: www.pptools.com

    Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP