Windows XP Windows media player skips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi again, im having trouble with my windows media player, after a while of my computer being switched on and listening to music like 6 hours or so, the music starts to skip, if i reopen windows media player and play something else it does the same but not as bad, even now it is skipping and sounds distorted now and again, im using an onboard sound card if this helps (NVidia) when i reboot in the morning it will be fine as i have done it many times before and even the music that was skipping is fine, its any music that i try.

can anyone help?
thanks, harry

Reaction score
all on hard drive mate, some copied from cd originally and some from other hard drives, that were downloaded songs. so i dont see any problem of this such that could occur...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Well there are a couple of possibilities here ... At some point, Microsoft replaced Window's CDPlayer with MWPlayer. At first glance this seems a real improvement because MWP is able to automatically (via the internet) determine the album name and the names of all the selections. However, because the CPU is used to process the music, recordings tend to skip and to slow down your system.

WMP is quite a resource hungry beast, especially if you have "visualisations" turned on (as is by default) ... turn it off & try again.

Another cause is too many programmes running in the background ... Trojans, spyware, viruses’ un-needed programs.

Download http://www.winamp.com/WinAmp and see if it makes any difference.

:thumb:

Reaction score
What happens if you restart your computer, does that stop it skipping?

Or could it be yor Hard Drive getting hot? This is just a guess.

KGB

Reaction score
well it was getting hot before i installed a HD cooler, could it do with the HDD being up-side down??

i dont like other programs though once i find what i like i stick with it, but i will give it a go for you muck ;) after i reboot it is fine.

also i have zone alarm with antivirus, no bodies getting in here to slow me down im afraid muck.

Reaction score
okie thankyou very much muck i have now discovered WIN AMP woo, its great and no skipping, perfect...

muckshifter

Reaction score
Thermaltke said:
okie thankyou very much muck i have now discovered WIN AMP woo, its great and no skipping, perfect...
Good piece of software, init ... :D

:thumb:

Reaction score
it sure is my good friend, and how does the paid for version compare to the 8mb one? is it worth it?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Thermaltke said:
it sure is my good friend, and how does the paid for version compare to the 8mb one? is it worth it?
err, I don't know ... I use WMP
rofl1.gif

blush.gif

Reaction score
The paid for Winamp allows CD Burning and a small amount of other misc functionality :)

Don't bother mate ;) the free Winamp will do 99% of all you could need :)

Reaction score
i Know you have found a new program, but have you thought of using apple iTunes?

I have recently started using it, it is so easy to use. its great. I dont know how much it costs, because i got it free with airport express

Reaction score
Ok I have the same skipping problem, it happens with cd's, vids, mp3 files... I know it's not my processor cuz I just formatted (not for any other reason other than I wanted a fresh start) and I have minamal programs running. I tried ipod tunes and it also gave me the same problem, (nice program tho) and I tried WINAMP (Pro) and the problem went away but with that being said it sounded like crap.
No matter how I messed with the EQ I could not get the same sound quality I got from my windows media player, also the fact that it played the music without skipping tells me again that it is not my processor.
The only thing I can figure is it must either be a conflict or setting.... any feedback on this would be appreciated

Reaction score
Welcome to the site :thumb:

- What version of WMP have you got?
- What spec is your machine also?

Cheers,

Rich

muckshifter

Reaction score
Jesus, this thread is two years old ... why the hell do people have to "tag-on" the end of someone else thread.
wallbash.gif

You'll get a lot bigger response to "your" problem starting a new thread ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question