Windows Mails Suddenly Not Working Right

Andrea

I have been using Windows Mail for my e-mail for over a year now. I have
comcast e-mail and have it set up going through windows mail to make it
easier.

I just today am having problems sending mail via links. (i.e. responding to
craigslist, etc.)

I am getting the error "Windows Mail could not be started. The application
was unable to open the Windows Mail message store. Your windows mail mailbox
data is currently being used by another program, such as a virus scanner.
Close the program or wait for it to complete its operation, then open
Windows mail again".

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Gary VanderMolen

That symptom is usually caused by interference from an antivirus program.
Which antivirus are you running?
As a minimum, email scanning in the antivirus should be turned off,
although that may not be sufficient to eliminate all bad effects.
In a worst case scenario, your antivirus may need to be uninstalled.

Email scanning in any antivirus should be disabled, for reasons
explained here:

One other thing you should try as a possible quick fix is to delete that
potentially corrupted mail account, restart Windows Mail, then
recreate that account.

If turning off the email scanning and recreating the account does not
resolve your problem, consider upgrading to Windows Live Mail,
because it is less prone to suffering bad effects from overly aggressive
antivirus programs. http://download.live.com/wlmail

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

You will have to give us something more to go on.
Exactly how are you trying to get into your mail account (step by step).
At what point does it fail? Any error message?

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"desperate need of help" wrote in message
Please help. I cannot get into my e-mail account.