Windows XP Windows Freezes! (HJT log attached)

Reaction score
I recently had some overheating problems with my computer, so I removed a superfluous hard drive (went from 4 to 3) and installed an extra fan. Although the hard drive I removed did not contain the Operating system, I decided to completely reinstall my Operating System and all of my applications. Nothing new … just a clean install of my old system. I have found from experience that it is a good idea to do that every 6 months to a year in any event.

I had reinstalled much of my old system when I began to experience problems with the system freezing. I mean, it would totally stop reacting … applications would stop running, the mouse would stop moving, ALT/CTL/DEL would be non-reactive … everything! Only a reboot would get it going again. I finally seemed to isolate the problem to some download clients I was running. If they were not on, the system seemed to work fine. Alternatively, the download clients worked fine in safe mode.

Now, I’m starting to get freezing again in the normal mode. There doesn’t seem to be a clear pattern as to when it happens, although a couple of times it’s frozen when I’ve been trying to burn some DVD’s (I ruined 2 DL DVD’s, and they’re not cheap!!) Alternatively, while the download clients (and the DVD burning) are working in the safe mode, on a regular basis I get the message. “Windows Explorer has experienced a problem and needs to close”. Nothing actually happens, though.

One other thing that may be totally unrelated. When I boot up in normal mode, the “program files” folder pops up as part of the start up routine. It never did it before & I don’t know why it’s doing it now

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 on an AMD Anthon 64 bit 3000+ (1800 MH). I have a gig of ram and use a Radeon X300 series video card. I am attaching the Hijack This results from the normal start-up.

Sorry for the long winded message, but any help would be very, very much appreciated! I’m assuming some kind of driver conflict, but I could be wrong.

Thanks a million for your help!!

Attachments

• 12.23pm - 15 Oct 06 hijackthislog.txt
    12.4 KB · Views: 164

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Bloody hell ... where's the kitchen sink?

Well, the good news is ... your Log is clean of any 'nasties' ... although HJT should have been run from it's own folder.

I have found from experience that it is a good idea to do that every 6 months to a year in any event.
Well, hate to say this, but your wrong ... if it ain't broke, it don't need fixing. ;)

I would bin that Internet download manager for a start ... you have 5 instances of it running ... just download overnight, one at a time. Or get 27Gb/s cable.

You certainly have a whole host of unnecessary stuff running there. :rolleyes:

Good luck ...

user.gif

Ask a Question