Windows XP Windows folder - 13gig?

Reaction score
Recently I started getting a "your C drive is almost full" message. This has come abou quite suddenly. I've traced the problem to my Windows folder which is showing itself to be 13gig! Two things - I thought it was supposed to be about 2gig? Other thing, when I right click on the folder adn check properties it shows as 13gig. When I show all the files, hidden and unhidden, then ctrl-a and check properties they show as 8.5gig. I haven't yet gone through all the files and folders to see where the problem lies exactly -

any thoughts?

Than ks in advance

Reaction score
Hi Paul, Welcome to the forum

Your right it should be roughly 2 - 2.5 gig

Do you do any video editing?

Have you accidently allowed software you have used to save to the windows folder?

Try doing a search for large files, namely AVI's or mpeg's on the entire HDD and see what shows up

Maybe even music saved on there somewhere or multiple copys of system files which have been copyed by someone else inadvertantly?

Let us know

Reaction score
Hi TriplexDread.

OK.

In the Windows folder there are -

Loads of $NtUninstallwmp.... folders - these come to 730m, plus the $hf_mig$ folder which is 421m.

Then there's the subfolders - from "addins" to "WinSxS" - these come to 2.93gig

Then there's a load of miscellaneous - these come to 108m. This includes some software downloads which seem to have shipped up here.

Plus a load of notepad logs - which come to 2m

So having not previously gone through the folders quite as meticulously, I can now see that there's only a little more than 4gig of actual material, which somehow is still reading as 13gig?

In answer to your questions - no videon editing, I do some video file conversions, but there are no temps that I can find. I did a search for large media files, when I searched the Windows folder it found nothing, found plenty elseweher on my drives.

It's got my baffled. Some sort of corruption?

Thanks for your help anyhoo!

Reaction score
OK i'm not sure

Try downloading this http://www.ccleaner.com/

install it and let it scan your system

If you aint sure what to let it delete then make sure you back it up first (this program gives you the option to back up registry anyway)

do all the scans and see what it comes up with :)

Reaction score
OK, TriplexDread.

Thanks for the info on the cleaner. I dled and ran it - it cleaned up 1.6 GIG! of various issues - but none (not one kb!) in the Windows folder, lol.

I also ran the scan, backed up the registry jus in case and let it fix the 600+ issues it identified, but still no change in eiither the reading of the 'C' drive size, or in the reading of the Windows folder, which I now can see it's misreading by just shy of 10gig.

So, I have to thank you for introducing me to the CC tool, which looks really useful and I can already see the benfits in terms of performance - so thanks for that! I now have 10% free on the drive, I'll remove some stuff and then run a defrag, and I'll let you know if that imporves anything.

TA

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Try running chkdsk and see if any filesizes are being misreported - I doubt this is the issue but worth a shot.

Somethings that may help is to perform an advanced search on the windows folder, and make it only list files over 100MB. Once they are all there, sort them by file size and see if there is anything way out of the ordinary (like a 2GB file).

My Windows Vista folder is 12GB.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
So, how big a HD do you have ?

XP's Disk Cleanup Utility can easily determine which files on a hard drive may no longer be needed and delete those files. CCleaner does a good job.

Click Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Cleanup
or
Click Start | Run and in the Open box type cleanmgr and click OK
or
In Windows Explorer or My Computer, right-click the disk in which you want to free up space, click Properties, click the General tab, and then click Disk Cleanup.
Use the drop down menu arrow to select the drive you want to clean.

Disk%20Cleanup%2003.gif

Instead of automatically proceeding with cleanup once the drive analysis is complete, Disk Cleanup allows you to review the categories of files that can be deleted.

Click on any of the categories to display more information relative to that category in the Description section of the window. If you're unsure if you want to delete the files in a category from the description, use the View Files button. A complete list of files scheduled for deletion will be displayed in Windows Explorer. Use drag and drop to move any files you want to save to a safe location and leave the category selected. If all the files are to be saved, close the window and then remove the checkmark from the file category so it will not be included in the disk cleanup.

After all the categories have been reviewed, click OK to begin the disk cleanup process.

The Recycle Bin, by default, sets aside 10% of your HD, so too does System Restore @ 12% ... that's a lot of waisted HD space on a 100Gb HD.

For the Recycle Bin ...
Right-click the Recycle Bin and select Properties ... you can reduce the amount of disk space the Recycle Bin uses by dragging the slider down the scale. 1-2% is more than enough.

Reducing System Restore's use of HD space ...
Right click on My Computer, then Properties, and then the System Restore tab. Select the hard drive you wish to adjust (in XP, each drive can have its own System Restore setting), and click the Settings button.

Now, move the slider to choose a reasonable amount of disk space for the System Restore files. I suggest you start by choosing the smallest allowable Restore area (usually a still-hefty 200 megabytes) by moving the slider all the way to the left.

If that fails to free some space, reformat the HD. :lol:

OK, maybe not, some do ... need to know what software/games you have installed, and, again, the actual size of the HD.

;)

Reaction score
Thanks for suggestions

Ian - I ran an advanced search on the Windows folder ealrier, I wondered if it would show me anything untoward, it didn't. chkdsk I ran just now - How do I get the shell to remain after the chk is complete so that I can read the result, lol.

Muckshifter - hd is 80g, c drive is 30. I've run the disck cleanup. as per your suggestion I've reset the amounts available for systems restores from maximum 12%, where they were, to 2%. I've run the ccleaner again too.

I have no games currently installed - in the past the odd RPG, but when this problem appeared a couple of weeks ago I've been stripping stuff out. No videos, no music, all stored on the d drive. A load of (backed up) work stuff - mainly office documents. In fact, I'll just list the folders on the c drive -

ATI – 44m
BJPrinter – 28.5m
Colab – 7m
DiVx_311Alpha – 1.6m
Documentation 33m
Documents and Settings – 4.44g
Drivers – 77m
New software – 40m
Program Files 3.58g
Utils – 37m
Windows – 13.9g

It’s reading the total used space on the drive as 24.9g, which isn't what the above adds up to, is it?

disc u/s?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Hmmm, this is the sort of 'problem' best solved with the PC in front of me ... If you are using XP Pro, send me a "Request for Remote Assistance" and I'll take a look. You can't do that on XP Home.

I assume the HD is formatted to NTFS and not FAT32 ... NTFS will use 4kb cluster, so for a 1kb file, you will still use 4kb ... it is a lot better than FAT

1 megabyte = 0.0009765625 gigabyte ... I'll let you do the maths. ;)

You have 'enabled' show all files & folders ... just to "see" if any images from your video file conversions are not hiding.

All your $NtUninstallwmp files can be deleted ... they are the files MS makes when downloading updates so you can uninstall any updates if needed.

I take it you have checked the system for any nasties that may have gobbled up the space. :)

user.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
paulh45 said:
Ian - I ran an advanced search on the Windows folder ealrier, I wondered if it would show me anything untoward, it didn't. chkdsk I ran just now - How do I get the shell to remain after the chk is complete so that I can read the result, lol.

It's not much use really this time, but for future reference run "cmd" which will take you to the command prompt and then type CHKDSK. This will run it in a DOS window and let you see the results without closing :)

Reaction score
Hi, and thanks again for your help.
I'm running XP Home I'm afraid, but grateful for your offer of remote assistance. I really wish I could take you up on it!

It has me kyboshed this problem. What is tantalising about it is that, as I run the "properties" on the Windows folder, I can see it scrolling through the files and folders, see the size counter clicking up, and then it just LEAPS by 10g! So it's surely just one file that's being misread - but then I can't find it when I narrow the search.

I'll update all my malware and virus scanners and see if they find something, though I've done them in the last coupl weeks.

When I get it sorted I'll be sure to let you know!

Paul

Reaction score
Just to follow up - updated all my security stuff, found one problem to do with IE7. NOw, Windows folder still reads as 13.9g and C drive reads as 90% full, but when I ctrl-a all of the windows folder contents, hidden and unhidden, it shows 4.1g (3.87 on disc), which is what I think it should add up to.

Making me wonder if it is a security issue which I'm not quite finding? Incidentally, this is a vaio VGN-A laptop, if that's relevant.

I use Avast, Spybot and a Sygate personal firewall (though I've been meaning to change the latter since their takepver, if anyone can reccomend a good personal firewalll I'd be grateful)

muckshifter

Reaction score
See if this little prog' can shed some light ...

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/foldersize.htm

... one more, cluching at straws here;

Open my computer
Right click on one of your hard drive icons and then select properties.
At the bottom of the window you should see "Allow indexing service to index this disk for faster searches," uncheck this and click then click on ok.
A new window will pop up and select apply to all folders and subfolders. It takes a few minutes, just wait.

:user:

Reaction score
Hi Muckshifter

I downloaded the programme, it's confirming what I'd already worked out - biggest subfolder in the WIndows folder is the system32 folder at 905m, then I386 at 433, and so forth - so the totals of the larger subfolders support a 4g total for the Windows folder.

I also tried unchecking the indexing - it didn't seem to make any difference, so I've checked it again!

Incidentally, I know I can safely delete the $NtUninstallQ........$ subfolders, can I also delete the $NtServicePackUninstall........................$ subfolders also? Some of them seem to be fairly big - up to 200m in one case.

Thanks again

muckshifter

Reaction score
Yep, you can delete them as well ...

I would un-check the indexing and leave it unchecked ... it don't work as intended. ;)

You can post a HijackThis Log here, just to make sure you don't have a nastie causing this MB mismatch.

user.gif

Reaction score
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 17:52:30, on 16/07/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16473)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Sony\HotKey Utility\HKserv.exe
C:\Program Files\sony\vaio power management\SPMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ICO.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\sony\SONICS~1\SsAAD.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\PCSuite\DataLayer\DataLayer.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SSScsiSV.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\PeerGuardian2\pg2.exe
C:\Program Files\Five Live Flash\FiveLiveFlash.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apntex.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\PCSuite\Services\SERVIC~1.EXE
C:\Program Files\Sony\HotKey Utility\HKWnd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\DllHost.exe
C:\Program Files\FolderSize\FolderSizeSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLLoginProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.bbc.co.uk/news
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Skype add-on (mastermind) - {22BF413B-C6D2-4d91-82A9-A0F997BA588C} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\2.0.301.7164\swg.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Easy-WebPrint - {327C2873-E90D-4c37-AA9D-10AC9BABA46C} - C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Toolband.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HKSERV.EXE] C:\Program Files\Sony\HotKey Utility\HKserv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SonyPowerCfg] C:\Program Files\sony\vaio power management\SPMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ezShieldProtector for Px] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ezSP_Px.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Mouse Suite 98 Daemon] ICO.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SsAAD.exe] C:\PROGRA~1\sony\SONICS~1\SsAAD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DataLayer] C:\Program Files\Common Files\PCSuite\DataLayer\DataLayer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PeerGuardian] C:\Program Files\PeerGuardian2\pg2.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Five Live Flash] "C:\Program Files\Five Live Flash\FiveLiveFlash.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RealPlayer] "C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\realplay.exe" /RunUPGToolCommandReBoot
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [updateMgr] C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AdobeUpdateManager.exe AcRdB7_0_9
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to AMV Convert Tool... - C:\Program Files\MP3 Player Utilities 4.00\AMVConverter\grab.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Add To Print List - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_AddToList.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint High Speed Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_HSPrint.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Preview - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Preview.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Easy-WebPrint Print - res://C:\Program Files\Canon\Easy-WebPrint\Resource.dll/RC_Print.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: MediaManager tool grab multimedia file - C:\Program Files\MP3 Player Utilities 4.00\MediaManager\grab.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra button: Skype - {77BF5300-1474-4EC7-9980-D32B190E9B07} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.club-vaio.sony-europe.com/
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.sony-europe.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.sonystyle-europe.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.vaio-link.com
O16 - DPF: {31B7EB4E-8B4B-11D1-A789-00A0CC6651A8} (Cult3D ActiveX Player) - http://www.cult3d.com/download/cult.cab
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} - http://software-dl.real.com/1537d41ea5da85f39b05/netzip/RdxIE601.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.c...ls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1095155196528
O16 - DPF: {6DB731A3-B074-4118-8B1C-32511C65D836} (FotovistaPhotoUploader.ctrFpu) - http://www.mypixmania.com/uk/uk/tools/activex/fpu.cab
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/muweb_site.cab?1155853082290
O16 - DPF: {CF40ACC5-E1BB-4AFF-AC72-04C2F616BCA7} (get_atlcom Class) - http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/nos/gp.cab
O16 - DPF: {F7EDBBEA-1AD2-4EBF-AA07-D453CC29EE65} (Flash Casino Helper Object) - https://flashcasino.ladbrokes.com/instant-play-en/FlashAX2.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{49D843F9-55EB-4CCF-8B5E-01173B3AEAEA}: NameServer = 193.0.249.6,193.0.249.70
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{EC951D07-DAB8-495D-B0F2-F47259D2E2EB}: NameServer = 193.0.249.6 193.0.249.70
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
O23 - Service: Folder Size (FolderSize) - Brio - C:\Program Files\FolderSize\FolderSizeSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: MSCSPTISRV - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\MSCSPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: PACSPTISVR - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\PACSPTISVR.exe
O23 - Service: Sygate Personal Firewall (SmcService) - Sygate Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: SonicStage SCSI Service (SSScsiSV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SSScsiSV.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Music Server (VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-AppServer) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\sony\vaio media music server\SSSvr.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Music Server (HTTP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-HTTP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\vaio media platform\sv_httpd.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Music Server (UPnP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-MusicServer-UPnP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\vaio media platform\UPnPFramework.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Photo Server (VAIOMediaPlatform-PhotoServer-AppServer) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\sony\photo server\appsrv\PhotoAppSrv.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Photo Server (HTTP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-PhotoServer-HTTP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\sony shared\vaio media platform\SV_Httpd.exe
O23 - Service: VAIO Media Photo Server (UPnP) (VAIOMediaPlatform-PhotoServer-UPnP) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\sony shared\vaio media platform\UPnPFramework.exe

--
End of file - 11907 bytes

muckshifter

Reaction score
Well, your log is clean of any real nasties ... :thumb:

However, there is one 'anomaly' that I would get HJT to fix, and that is ...
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler.exe
This program is not required to start automatically as you can run it when you need to. I advised that you disable this program so that it does not take up necessary resources.

It should be a registration reminder as used by the likes of Iomega, Hasbro & Microprose ... amongst others, it can be used as a screen for a nastie.

:user:

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help Muckshifter (et al) - at least I've found a couple new programmes which improve the performance of my machine, and obviously I needed to do some maintenance since you've helped me free up 4GIG! of space on the drive that was just waste.

Reaction score
OK, get this.

In the four days between my last post and this one the Windows folder, which I had culled down to 13.3gig with your help, has grown back to 13.9gig.

WTF? I mean, really, WTF? This is like living with the Blob, except dryer.

lol!

Surely something dark at work here?

If someone can tell me how to do a screenshot I'll post the list of folders and sub-folders.

Reaction score
Same thing with my Bro's computer

I always do Remote Assistance on my brother's computer. While cleaning it up and throwing junk away, I noticed the exact same thing...I have no clue how to fix it. So at least you're not alone out there...

Ask a Question