Windows XP Windows File Protection repeated prompting of SP2 CD insert !!

Reaction score
I have been having a problem lately that has stumped me :(

I have windows XP SP2 installed with original XP PRO with SP2 installed CD-ROM.

have been backing up and making images using True Image 9.0

have tried to restore stripped down version of Windows XP Pro SP2 image partition. Still have the prompting .

how do i eliminate it ? I have the correct OS windows XP PRO SP2 ( not OEM ) in the CD drive but it keeps prompting me to insert the correct one ?

what gives ?

anyone can relate ?

- STephen

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Be patient, I am sure that someone will be able to help you!! Perhaps many people were in bed (in the UK at least) when you posted.

Hope you sort your problem out very soon.

Gabs x

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
could you explain what happened, you had XP Pro with SP2 running then you tried to restore it with an image and thats when the problems started ?

also why did you try to restore it ?

Reaction score
I tried running SFC Windows Protection at the run command and it constantly prompts me to insert the correct WIndows Professional CD for the DLL files ..

When I already HAVE it in my CD drive ! so I thought it might be corrupt so I copied over a image of the stripped down version just WIndows XP / SP2 install partition copied over this current partition and no go still the pop ups !

Reaction score
i think the protection problem is due to you have two copy of the same os on one hardrive. you copyed the stripped os you had into the partition that already has an installed os. it's a sketchy answer but i think windows thinks your using the same os on two different computers. that maybe the problem

Reaction score
no acid I been having this annoying prompting for quite some time mid way through the life of the brand new partition of Windows XP PRO w/SP2

So it has nothing to do with the striping i was trying to accomplish.

I was trying to copy over the missing dlls and such with imaging .

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
sounds like it hasn't overwriten properly or its to do with you trying to overwrite it, personally i'd wipe it all and start again

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
a proper wipe ?

as in format the HD and do a fresh install (that means NO restoring with images)

Reaction score
anyway I was avised by microsoft to go in safe mode and try it but no response there , doesn't work in safe mode

can you try and tell me if you can work sfc /scannow in safe mode ME ?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Excuse me ... but where did you get this "stripped down" version of XP Pro from?

:confused:

Reaction score
I burned the image mystelf for emergency purposes , so something is deffinatly wrong with my safe mode restore then !!

Reaction score
guys thanks for your help / and friendly knowledgable advice solving this delima for me of the case of the annoying pop-up promptings ! :)

Ask a Question