Windows explorer won't select multiple files

Bob Urz

One machine i have has a problem with windows explorer.
When i try to select multiple files, it won't let me do it.
I have tried clicking on the first file and then holding down
the shift or control key and selecting, but not go. And this is
not a setting on the drop down menus.

I know this is some sort of registry key, but i am having trouble
getting the correct answer. Has something to do with the bags key?

How to i reset explorer to standard configuration to let me select
multiple files? I went into GP edit and did not find anything specific
there either.

Bob

Claymore

One machine i have has a problem with windows explorer.
When i try to select multiple files, it won't let me do it.
I have tried clicking on the first file and then holding down
the shift or control key and selecting, but not go. And this is
not a setting on the drop down menus.

I know this is some sort of registry key, but i am having trouble
getting the correct answer. Has something to do with the bags key?

How to i reset explorer to standard configuration to let me select
multiple files? I went into GP edit and did not find anything specific
there either.

Bob

Hello Bob,

This may be what you're looking for:

Cannot select multiple files - Registry edit
http://serena-yeoh.blogspot.com/2007/01/cannotselectmultiplefiles.html

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Information in that link applies to Windows Vista, Claymore.

Windows® Troubleshootinghttp://www.winhelponline.com

One machine i have has a problem with windows explorer.
When i try to select multiple files, it won't let me do it.
I have tried clicking on the first file and then holding down
the shift or control key and selecting, but not go. And this is
not a setting on the drop down menus.
I know this is some sort of registry key, but i am having trouble
getting the correct answer. Has something to do with the bags key?
How to i reset explorer to standard configuration to let me select
multiple files? I went into GP edit and did not find anything specific
there either.

Hello Bob,

This may be what you're looking for:

Cannot select multiple files - Registry edithttp://serena-yeoh.blogspot.com/2007/01/cannotselectmultiplefiles.html

Sorry about that - wrong OS - wrong newsgroup. Thanks, Ayush.
The equivalent key in XP is, I believe:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell
BagMRU
Bags

To Bob,

If you want to try the fix, make sure you backup (File=>Export and
check the radio button 'Selected Branch') these keys to a safe place
in case it doesn't help.

Regards

Nightowl

Bob Urz said:
One machine i have has a problem with windows explorer.
When i try to select multiple files, it won't let me do it.
I have tried clicking on the first file and then holding down
the shift or control key and selecting, but not go. And this is
not a setting on the drop down menus.

Hi Bob

Just wondering. . . have you tried selecting with the keyboard? (Select
first file, hold down Shift, use the down-arrow key to select subsequent
files.) Does it still not work? I'm just wondering if it could be some
weird mouse misbehaviour :)

Joe

Hi Claymore,

I had the same problem just pop up yesterday on WinXP Pro with all
current upgrades installed.

I went through and deleted the BagMRU and Bags items with all subkeys.

I rebooted and I have only a slight improvement. When selecting with a
mouse, I can sometimes select 5-10 items. If I scroll at all in the
selection process, I cannot select more than one item.

Keyboard items seem to work, for example, Ctrl-A, Ctrl-Shift-End.

Any other suggestions would sure be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Claymore said:
[...]

Hello,

I can't vouch for this, but it *may* work.
Open the registry editor (Start => Run and type in "regedit" {without
the quotes})
Before doing anything open the TaskManager (Ctrl + Alt + Delete) and
kill the process 'explorer.exe'.
Close the TaskManager.
Find the the registry keys indicated and back them up (File => Export
=> Selected Branch).
Delete the keys.
Close the registry editor.
Ctrl + Alt + Delete to open the TaskManager again.
Applications tab => New Task = explorer.exe

But --- There has to be an easier way. We shouldn't have to go poking
in the registry.
Googling around (not extensively) only shows this problem in Vista,
and the above fix seems to work for that OS (but different registry
keys).

Joe

http://www.newsfeeds.comThe #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups

[...]

Thanks for the clarification of technique. I picked up parts of that
earlier and I think I had done it all. But I repeated it again exactly
and still no improvement.

I had found a previous reference to this problem dated September 5,
2003 at http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1062770353 but
there were no followup messages.

Two things happened that I remember before this problem had occured:
Automatic update KB933360 was applied and I had added a second monitor
to my GeForce 6600 GT graphics card.

I had backed out both and still no difference.

Any suggestions where else I might look. I had just wiped the hard
drive and started with a clean install of WinXP. I really don't want
to do that again so soon. And without knowing what caused the problem
there is no assurance that it wouldn't happen again.

Joe

Joe

Two days later, it seemed to have fixed itself. An extremely
frustrating and puzzling experience. It just has to be FM (freaking
magic.)

Joe