R

Robert Gault

This is a problem which just started and may have been cause by WinXP
updates just released. It is not possible to save the size of the window
used by Windows Explorer. In fact the size that Windows Explorer uses is
tied to that of Internet Explorer.

For example, if I set I.E. to a specific window size, close it, and open
W.E. it has the identical window size that I.E. used. If I set I.E. to
full screen, close it, and open W.E. it also is then full screen.

This is a definite pain in the you know where! So if anyone has ideas,
please post them.

A

Alec S.

Robert Gault said:
This is a problem which just started and may have been cause by WinXP
updates just released. It is not possible to save the size of the window
used by Windows Explorer. In fact the size that Windows Explorer uses is
tied to that of Internet Explorer.

For example, if I set I.E. to a specific window size, close it, and open
W.E. it has the identical window size that I.E. used. If I set I.E. to
full screen, close it, and open W.E. it also is then full screen.

This is a definite pain in the you know where! So if anyone has ideas,
please post them.

Yes, it is a pain. Unfortunately there is not much you can do to control it completely and indefinitely. Windows does keep track
of folder settings to a point. By default it will keep track of various settings of up to 400 folders, after which it will reuse
the space from the least used ones. This number can be changed (TweakUI makes it easy).

In previous versions of Windows, you could force it to save the settings by holding Ctrl while clicking the close button, but I'm
not sure if this function is still present in XP.

Some of the MVPs around here have written a few scripts to do some rudimentary manipulation but I'm not entirely sure if they'll
help since I'm not really certain what your question is (there wasn't a single question mark in the whole post.) :D

R

Robert Gault

Alec said:
Yes, it is a pain. Unfortunately there is not much you can do to control it completely and indefinitely. Windows does keep track
of folder settings to a point. By default it will keep track of various settings of up to 400 folders, after which it will reuse
the space from the least used ones. This number can be changed (TweakUI makes it easy).

In previous versions of Windows, you could force it to save the settings by holding Ctrl while clicking the close button, but I'm
not sure if this function is still present in XP.

Some of the MVPs around here have written a few scripts to do some rudimentary manipulation but I'm not entirely sure if they'll
help since I'm not really certain what your question is (there wasn't a single question mark in the whole post.) :D

Guess I thought the question was obvious. :) How can I decouple Windows
Explorer from Internet Explorer so that W.E. will size its size
independently from I.E. ?

A

Alec S.

Robert Gault said:
Guess I thought the question was obvious. :) How can I decouple Windows
Explorer from Internet Explorer so that W.E. will size its size
independently from I.E. ?

Remember a few years back when Microsoft got sued for providing IE free, thus garnering themselves a browser monopoly and they got
off with little more than a slap on the wrist? One of their arguments was that IE is too integral and too tightly linked to
Windows, so they cannot just remove it (they provided the ability to "uninstall" IE, but that's little more than a superficial
absence, IE shares the same core as Explorer.) Well there's your answer, they are irrevocably linked. Type a URL into the address
bar of a folder and the folder will switch from the local zone to the Internet zone then bam! you're looking at a browser window.
Type a folder into IE's address bar and it will switch to the local zone and bam! you're in Explorer.

Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer are one and the same. :|

(So, it's not possible, sorry.)

Ask a Question