Windows XP Windows Explorer - Properties problem

Reaction score
I am running Windows XP Home

When I right click on a Folder and click Properties, I expect to get details of the files in the directory. However, suddenly I get nothing!

I get:

Size: 0 bytes
Size on disk: 0 bytes
Contains: 0 files, 0 folders

The only directory that I get the correct answer is in the root directory. All the files are there and I can access them. I presume I have accidentally clicked on something!

Can anyone help please?

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions.

Unfortunately I couldn't see anything suitable in the first one and the registry tweak din't work!

I'm sure the answer must be something simple. If only I knew what it was!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
This is just a stab in the dark here, but as the above didn't work there's no harm: It may be worth running chkdsk as if the indexes are corrupt you may get some strange side effects. I've had it once before where files in a directory appeared missing due to this, until it was fixed.

Just run chkdsk from the start menu > run, or by right clicking on your C drive and then perform a disk check. You'll need to restart and let it do this as your system boots up for a proper check :)

Reaction score
Now I can't right click!

I am now totally puzzled! Not only am I getting the problem above, but now I can't right-click in Windows Explorer!

It almost appears to be a virus, but AVG is working and I have run Spybot & AdAware.

I have never had anything like this happen before! The only new software are Windows updates and the .reg file suggested above.

I am bewildered.

Reaction score
It could be a Context Menu problem. I have downloaded ShellExView and have tried disabling various Context Menu items, but still no joy.

Is this too technical to be solved here?

Ask a Question