Windows XP Windows Explorer Address Bar: Typing in a full path/unc impossible

mi6

Reaction score
Windows Explorer Address Bar: Address bar gets updated while typing in path/unc

hey there,

i have a huge annoyance to report which i've seen mostly - if not exclusively - on xp sp2 computers.

you start the windows explorer and, as you're used to it, you place the cursor in the address bar and start typing a, say, unc path (attachment: 1.png). whenever you're half way done, the input gets lost, and the path to wherever you are at that moment comes up fully marked in the address bar (att.: 2.png). of course, if you don't see it whilst typing, you type over the marked text to your present path and end up with a truncated bit of what you originally wanted to type (att.: 3.png).

now, my guess is that somehow, the address bar content gets updated about every 1-2 seconds. that supsicion is actually supported by the fact that if you have the control panel as a menu on start menu and point on it, the menu gets updated at about the same rate. you can see that the icons flash every 1-2 seconds.

so - i'm sick of that stupd trying to type a path and ending up with the "run"-command because i can just not get my path into the address bar.

someone understood me?

pleeeeease?

HEEEELP !!!

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 180
  • 2.png
    2.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 183
  • 3.png
    3.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've had that happen before in Internet Explorer, as if I type before the page is 100% finished loading it overwrites what I have just written. I've tried this in Windows Explorer and I can't seem to replicate it - do you have anything which is integrated into Windows Explorer which could cause this (any toolbars or icon replacement apps?).

mi6

Reaction score
hi ian - thanks for your reply!

as far as the cleanliness of my installation goes: i do not have any tweaks or the likes installed, just the mere os (xp sp2) along with office and some other stuff like archiving software and so on. ever since i updated to sp2, this deus ex macchina came to rise.

as i said, i've seen this behaviour on other machines with xp sp2 as well.

i already mentioned it above: it looks like windows explorer updates its windows (same as hitting f5) about every 1 to 3 seconds automatically, which entails the address bar to be updated as well. that explains the recurrent replacement of what i'm typing with where i actually am.

cheers - and still no clue ...

p.s.: I'M SCARED BY YOUR AVATAR !!!

Last edited:

mi6

Reaction score
found just 1 way to get around this bloody problem

if i deactivate the service called "nla" (network location awareness), the address bar of windows explorer AND the control panel menu in the start menu do not get updated every few seconds anymore. thus, anything i enter into the address bar stays. for good. finally.

strangely enough though, i have the same service (nla) activated on an xp sp-1 machine - the bug doesn't show on this one.

anyone any clues why this happens with nla activated on sp2-machines?

regards, till

Last edited:

Ask a Question