Windows 8 Looks like we're going to need a Windows 9 section soon...

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
i1ywQl5.png

http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/opera...-accidentally-confirms-windows-9-coming-soon/

Microsoft’s Chinese office has accidentally leaked the Windows 9 logo in a blog post, along with the tag line “Microsoft’s latest OS Windows 9 is coming soon, do you think the start menu at the left bottom will make a come back?”. The post has since been removed but it wasn’t fast enough to avoid screenshots and media reports from circulating.

Microsoft has yet to officially comment on Windows 9, codenamed Threshold. However, this leak coincides with recent reports suggesting that the company will release a preview of the updated operating system by the end of September.

The upcoming Windows 9 preview for developers and and enterprise users will give us our first look at the new user interface, which is said to feature a metro style start button. The charms bar feature will likely be removed and changes will be made to the way Windows 8 apps interact with the desktop.

While the return of the start button will be the main selling point, reports have suggested that Microsoft is also testing its digital assistant, Cortana, on desktop machines- meaning we could see it come to Windows 9 in a future update.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
My inclination, I'm not alone here, is that Win 9 will be a free upgrade for Win 8 users ... Win 7 users will have to pay, but I also suspect it will be a 'token' payment of a few pounds. :)

Unless Win 9 has some new/with-it-today tech, like going 64bit ONLY ... and then we finally get 64 bloody bit drives for everything ... then I very much doubt I'll be 'upgrading' from 7.

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My inclination, I'm not alone here, is that Win 9 will be a free upgrade for Win 8 users ...

If not it bloody well should be! ;)

oops, I do believe I cussed :blush:

I await it's arrival with interest, I'll certainly give it a fair crack of the whip, just as I did with Win 8. Let's hope a trial beta is available.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
If this is real I think it looks pretty bad ass. :)

The first screenshots of Windows 9 technical preview have hit the Internet. The new pictures confirm that Microsoft Corp.’s next-generation operating system code-named “Threshold” will resemble Windows 7 in many ways and will return familiar elements. Unfortunately, the whole user interface will remain “Metro”-like.

The screenshots of Windows 6.4 Build 9834 published by ComputerBase.de and WinFuture.de reaffirm that Microsoft will return the fully-fledged desktop experience to Windows 9, at least in a version of Windows 9 aimed at desktops and notebooks. It will be possible to run all programs, including those with Metro UI, in windows, just like screenshots confirm.

The upcoming operating system will allow to control windows just like in Windows 7 and older OSes, using minimize, maximize and close buttons in the upper right corner. Context menus will also resemble those from older Windows. Many elements of the OS (e.g., icons, logotypes, etc.) resemble those from previous Windows operating systems.

Since the screenshots were taken in a very early version of Windows 9, a lot of things may change in the final version of the OS.

Microsoft plans to release public preview of Windows 9 later this month or in early October. The software giant intends to launch its next OS commercially in the first half of 2015.

Microsoft did not comment on the news-story.
http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/opera...ed-microsoft-to-return-fully-fledged-desktop/

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, I ain't getting too excited, looks to me they're just doing what Classic Shell does to Win 8.1 at this moment.

And Mr Cynical says that by them harking back to earlier Windows standards, they're pretty much admitting they got 8 wrong.

We shall see, we shall see....

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
despite all the color ... err, I mean, colour ... it's a bit flat and dull looking ... isn't it just Win 8 with a new number? :sleep:

Reaction score
;)Any way I have or in the process to moving over to Zorin 9 64bit, I have dual booted and getting used to it, so when completely used to it bye bye Microsoft.:D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
despite all the color ... err, I mean, colour ... it's a bit flat and dull looking ... isn't it just Win 8 with a new number? :sleep:

I told you Aero was dead. Long live Metro! :D

;)Any way I have or in the process to moving over to Zorin 9 64bit, I have dual booted and getting used to it, so when completely used to it bye bye Microsoft.:D

*Looks in the Linux section* Yeah, i see thats going well. :lol:

Ask a Question