    just installed Windows Defender on a XP pro SP2 computer. I t will not
    update. Error message:0x8024001d. The system cannot write to specified
    device. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    Guest, Feb 21, 2006

    RE: Windows Defender will not update: 0x8024001d

    Guest, Mar 11, 2006

    "Garold" wrote:

    > just installed Windows Defender on a XP pro SP2 computer. I t will not
    > update. Error message:0x8024001d. The system cannot write to specified
    > device. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    After Installation, at first update, I got the same error msg: 0x8042001d:
    das system kann nicht auf das angegebene Gerät schreiben (unable to write to
    indicated item). Sorry, I have no idea to overcome.
    help is very welcome

    Guest, Mar 11, 2006
  4. Please try updating via Windows Update--do a custom scan and see if Windows
    Defender definition updates are offered.

    Bill Sanderson, Mar 12, 2006