    worked for some months and then quit working.

    How can I uninstall / reinstall Windows Defender on Windows 7.
    Thank you.

    Computeruser, Jun 16, 2010

  2. You can't uninstall/reinstall Windows Defender on Windows 7.

    You can try this:

    start, all programs, accessories
    right-click Command Prompt, and choose "run as administrator"

    This gives you an elevated command prompt--meaning a command prompt window
    running as administrator.

    type in sfc /scannow and hit enter

    Bill Sanderson, Jun 16, 2010

  3. Computeruser

    Tim Clark Guest

    Computeruser"

    If you are using the Webview of this site you may not have seen the reply to
    your post given by BillSanderson, on 06/15/2010 10:48 PM [cdt, usa] to I
    repost it below:

    Bill Sanderson wrote:
    /begin quote

    You can't uninstall/reinstall Windows Defender on Windows 7.

    You can try this:

    start, all programs, accessories
    right-click Command Prompt, and choose "run as administrator"

    This gives you an elevated command prompt--meaning a command prompt window
    running as administrator.

    type in sfc /scannow and hit enter

    /end quote

    Tim Clark, Jun 17, 2010
  4. Computeruser

    Computeruser Guest

    I ran sfc /scannow and it may take a couple of days to know whether that
    worked. Since it stopped working about a month ago, it sometimes scans and
    sometimes does not, but never updates and Menu Bar -> Update Now never works.
    I must download the most recent update and run that.

    Windows Defender worked very well when it was new (first bought by
    Microsoft) and sadly has gone straight down hill ever since. It is completely
    unreliable.

    BTW - Why do I not see replies? Curious comment below.

    Thanks, ..... C

    Computeruser, Jun 19, 2010
  5. Tim has reminded me that one of the (previously available) features of these
    forums is (still) broken.

    Years ago, Microsoft began providing consumer support via peer to peer
    newsgroups, using NNTP--a mechanism that used email protocols to post to a
    list that anyone in the world could read. More recently, they have shifted
    from that mechanism to web-based forums. A good many "old-timers"--those who
    provide the bulk of the answers--tend to stay with the NNTP mechanism which
    can be much faster to work with. These particular groups have a
    synchronization mechanism which is supposed to provide both an NNTP and a
    web-based view of the same material. However, it is broken, and the NNTP
    users can see the information entered by the web-based users, but the
    web-based users cannot see answers provided by the NNTP-based users.
    (so, of course, I'm using the web interface for this post...)

    More than you wanted to know, I suspect.

    Does Windows/Microsoft Update work correctly for you? If that were broken,
    it would be a more significant issue than simply Windows Defender definitions.

    Bill Sanderson, Jun 19, 2010
  6. Computeruser

    Computeruser Guest

    Yes, Windows Update works fine for me. This same issue affected Vista (gone
    now) and Wiindows Update worked fine there as well.
    .... C

    "Bill Sanderson" wrote:

    <snip>
    > Does Windows/Microsoft Update work correctly for you? If that were broken,
    > it would be a more significant issue than simply Windows Defender definitions.
    >

    > "Computeruser" wrote:
    >
    > > I ran sfc /scannow and it may take a couple of days to know whether that
    > > worked. Since it stopped working about a month ago, it sometimes scans and
    > > sometimes does not, but never updates and Menu Bar -> Update Now never works.
    > > I must download the most recent update and run that.
    > >
    > > Windows Defender worked very well when it was new (first bought by
    > > Microsoft) and sadly has gone straight down hill ever since. It is completely
    > > unreliable.

    <snip>

    Computeruser, Jun 19, 2010