    One more, Windows Defender cannot be updated through proxy servers
    with password security. Any solution ?

    Thank you.

    Guest, Nov 10, 2006

  2. A workaround for the proxy servers is to allow free access to
    update.microsoft.com, I believe.

    For manual updates--see the URL's that Engel posts regularly--most recently
    in the post directly adjacent to yours.

    Interestingly, (or not)--this page:

    http://support.microsoft.com/ph/11952

    appears to have a link to the information you are looking for--in KB article
    923159--but that article is not available. Looks like it was published on
    October 25th, and has since been recalled.

    Bill Sanderson MVP, Nov 10, 2006

    Hi,

    i have the same Problem, i use WindowsLiveOneCare and i can't update the
    definition.

    Please help!

    Michael

    Guest, Nov 16, 2006
  4. Is your problem with Windows Live OneCare, or Windows Defender, or both?

    If it is OneCare, have you tried their support?

    Bill Sanderson MVP, Nov 16, 2006

    Hi,

    my problem is in Windows Live OneCare, i can't update the antispyware
    definition, i asked in the one care forums and they sent me here to ask for
    help.

    regards

    Michael

    P.S. this is hou it looks like tuesday http://mmantz.de/defender.jpg
    i had some trouble installing my bt usb stick and i had to install my backup
    from okt 23, i had to do that a few times, now the bt stick works fine, but i
    can't update the definition for antispyware, only 1x worked the update, but
    since i had problems with the bt stick, i had to install the backup but the
    update wan't work anymore :/

    Guest, Nov 16, 2006
  6. Are you on version 1.5 of OneCare--can you check the version number via
    Help, About?

    If you are on the version which integrates the antispyware into OneCare, I'm
    not sure I know the locations of the files involved for this fix--I don't
    presently have a machine with that version installed.

    Here's what I think should work for you:

    go to a command prompt in the folder Windows Defender is installed
    in--typically this is c:\program files\windows defender.

    If you don't have a Windows Defender folder--do a search under program files
    for mpcmdrun.exe.

    In the folder in which mpcmdrun.exe is located:

    mpcmdrun -RemoveDefinitions -All

    mpcmdrun -SignatureUpdate

    (hit enter between, waint for completion then do the next one--the second
    one will take some time--perhaps 5 minutes or more.)

    Let's see if that does the trick.

    Bill Sanderson MVP, Nov 16, 2006

    Hi,

    the first one was ok, but when i do the second one, it takes one second and
    it ends...

    Regards

    Michael

    Guest, Nov 16, 2006

    oh i forgot, onecare version 1.5.1851.8

    Guest, Nov 16, 2006
  9. OK--so it sounds like you found the executable in the expected
    location--thanks for confirming that. I ran that version of OneCare for a
    short time on Vista, but I had some troubles with its firewall and my
    wireless set up and I ripped it out rather quickly.

    This sounds like a problem with AutoUpdate at this point.

    What happens if you go to Windows (or Microsoft) Update and do an express
    scan?

    That should bring you current definitions.

    Are you aware of any problems with AutoUpdate on this system?

    Is it current with all critical patches?

    Bill Sanderson MVP, Nov 16, 2006

    i made aesterday a update, november stuff was updated, where can i make this
    express scan, i can't find it on the update page of microsoft...

    Guest, Nov 16, 2006
  11. Hmm--yesterdays updates should have done the trick.

    OK--here's what to do.

    Note the time.

    go to http://update.microsoft.com

    and hit the top button, which is labelled "express" in english.

    See whether you are offered definition updates to Windows Defender, and
    whether the install is successful.

    If it does not succeed, do:

    Start, run

    notepad %windir%\system32\windowsupdate.log

    (and hit enter)

    Maximize the window, scroll to the very end of the file.

    Then scroll back up to the time that you initiated the update.

    highlight and copy and paste that tail end of the file to a reply here.

    It is possible that my lack of German will be a barrier here--but let's see
    how it goes.

    Bill Sanderson MVP, Nov 16, 2006

    i never saw on the update page something that is related to one care, there
    ic no log file for the updates....
    i am a little bit confused,because when i was experiencing with the driver
    for my bt stick,i had to install the backup a few times, and 1 time i was
    able to get the updates, why not now? i remember that i hit in one care the
    update button a few times and it worked once but only that time,the bt stick
    made some trouble and i had to install the old backup again and since than
    not :/

    Guest, Nov 16, 2006

    Hi,

    now i am @ home and i started onecare and the update works now :blush:)

    Regards

    Michael

    Guest, Nov 17, 2006
  14. Excellent--thanks for letting me know--all should be well from now on, I
    think.

    Bill Sanderson MVP, Nov 17, 2006

    but no one can tell me why i wasn't able to make this update since tuesday :/

    Guest, Nov 17, 2006

    Hi Michael,

    I can tell you this:

    In Thursday 9 Nov. was the updªte for Signature 1.14.1828.5

    In Tuesday 14 Nov. was NO Updªtes for WD, until Thursday 16 Nov. with the
    Updªte 1.14.1836.1

    Guest, Nov 17, 2006

    Fat Kev Guest

    Update is still rather erratic at present. It comes out as and when MS
    programmers feels like doing something!! I got mine earlier today -
    hooray!!! Yippee!!! I can now rest for about 7 days!! On a second
    thought, they might send another one tomorrow!! It is an unpredictable
    affair as it stands. They must all be busy planning for Bill's
    retirement next June!!

    hth

    Fat Kev, Nov 17, 2006
  18. You're right--in that there isn't a set schedule for updates--they will be
    more frequent if hot issues arise--a false positive that needs fixing, or
    some high-profile adware that they want to add coverage for, perhaps.

    Autoupdate works well for this--just set it and forget it. When Engel posts
    a new update, I usually don't have it yet, and like pavlov's dog I go do a
    manual update just to verify Engel's information. but on office
    workstations I just let them run and look every once in awhile to see if
    they are staying current, and they mostly do.

    Bill Sanderson MVP, Nov 17, 2006
  19. You had, in the past, been able to update the definitions.

    You then had trouble with the "bt stick" and had to recover from backups
    several times. My supposition in the advice I gave was that something about
    the definitions in place was corrupted, and that removing them would allow
    normal updating thereafter.

    That seems to have worked, with the exception that your first attempt to
    update via the command line didn't appear to work. However, when you
    checked back some time later when you got home, the autoupdate had
    functioned and you were up to date.

    Bill Sanderson MVP, Nov 18, 2006

    Fat Kev Guest

    Bill Sanderson MVP wrote:

    > they will be more frequent if hot issues arise

    are you suggesting that these "hot issues" aren't as frequent as claimed
    by security experts? We are always told that there are new variants of
    spywares (and viruses but this is a different topic altogether)
    virtually everyday but you appear to suggest that they are not as
    serious as claimed in the press. Have I understood you correctly?

    Fat Kev, Nov 18, 2006