    Defender and got an install error. The error is that the path to my documents
    is corrupt or missing. I wasnt saving the file to my docs, I was saving it to
    the desktop? Go figure.... any ideas other than re-loading?

    Mark Dupoise, Mar 14, 2008

  2. As you suspect, this could be spyware or a virus. Do you have antivirus
    installed, with current definitions? Have you done a full scan of the
    machine, perhaps in Safe Mode, with that antivirus?

    If you don't have an up-to-date antivirus with current definitions
    installed, consider an online scanner such as the one at
    http://safety.life.com --this one can run in Safe Mode with Networking, if
    necessary.

    I've troubleshot a couple of machines for this symptom recently: In one
    case the issue was simply lack of ram--ram requirements change with the
    software load over time, and such things as an update to an antivirus suite
    may push performance below the bar you find reasonable--how much ram is in
    the machine?

    If you don't know how to find this out, or want to cost out increasing it--
    http://www.crucial.com can both test the machine to see how much ram is in
    it and tell you how many sockets there are, and what your options are for
    increasing the available ram.

    In the other case, the culpret turned out to be the driver for an HP
    Laserjet 102x series printer. So--something like a poorly behaved driver
    for a printer or some other peripheral can affect performance significantly.

    So--on to your original question: Was Windows Defender, or a beta version
    of it ever installed on this machine previously?

    Let me see if I have the scenario right: You downloaded Windows Defender
    (from Microsoft's site??) to the desktop, and saved it there. Then you
    double-clicked that saved installer file, and got this error message
    referencing the path to "My documents?"

    If you can replicate this error message and see if you have it word-for-word
    correct that might help--it sounds like something I've seen before, but I'm
    not remembering the fix and Google has failed me so far.

    One possible fix involves using the Windows Installer clean-up utility from
    Microsoft, but I'd like to pin the error wording and possible history of old
    installs down before recommending that.

    Bill Sanderson, Mar 14, 2008

  3. Mark Dupoise

    Dave M Guest

    Mark;

    Bill's link (with typo) to the OneCare Safety Scanner site should be:

    http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

    Additional free online scanners can be accessed through this link:

    http://safetyscans.googlepages.com/

    --

    Regards, Dave

    Dave M, Mar 14, 2008
  4. Thanks, Dave! I corrected one typo in that one before I sent it, but missed
    the obvious one.

    And the Google link is an excellent reference as well.

    Bill Sanderson, Mar 15, 2008