    Please re-install a copy of the above file.
    I have a restoration disk but don't know what else to do.
    Any help would be appreciated!

    Guest, Nov 19, 2005

  2. Visit my website http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org Click the Win XP Faq
    button and take a look at quesion 36. Now you need to use the recovery
    console which you don't have (this is not available on restoration disks). A
    way around the problem is to download the 6 Windows XP setup floppy disks
    and use this to install recovery console. You can download these from
    www.bootdisk.com. Make sure you download the correct disks for your
    operating system - either XP Home or XP Pro. If you don't have a floppy
    drive, then you may have to restore your sysetm from scratch using your
    restoration disk.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    The information in this post is supplied "as is". No warranty of any kind,
    either expressed or implied, is made in relation to the accuracy,
    reliability or content of this post. The Author shall not be liable for any
    direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the use
    of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in this post..

    John Barnett MVP, Nov 19, 2005

    Thanks a lot. I don't have a floppy drive so what would I have to do then? Or
    does it give directions on the website?

    Guest, Nov 19, 2005

    John B told you what to do if you don't have a floppy drive (in his last
    sentence).
    "If you don't have a floppy drive, then you may have to restore your system
    from scratch using your restoration disk."

    Other option, buy a floppy drive and put in computer, if you have room
    inside your computer.

    --
    Dennis S.
    I''m from Illinois. I hope I helped you. Good Luck.

    Guest, Nov 19, 2005
  5. Without a floppy drive you will be unable to repair the system. To do this
    repair you either need a retail copy of Windows XP or the 6 floppy disks so
    that you can access Recovery Console and rebuild the boot ini file. In this
    situation all that you can do is reinstall the operating system via your
    restoration disc. While a floppy disk is useful for emergencies you may only
    use it once, so you have to consider whether it is worth purchasing a
    standalone floppy disk drive or whether, ultimately, it would be quicker to
    simply reinstall the operating system. Hopefully you have backup copies of
    any important files/documents?

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    John Barnett MVP, Nov 19, 2005

    Thanks, but I guess what I'm asking is how to do that exactly. When I load
    the disk it doesn't read. Is there a certain key sequence that I need to use
    to use the restoration disk?

    Guest, Nov 19, 2005

    To use the Recovery CD that you have, you have to boot up with the recovery
    cd in your "first" cd/cdr drive. Some computers you may have to change your
    BIOS so that the CD/CDR is the first boot device. Computers vary in ways to
    enter computer bios. On some you press "Del", others maybe "F10". Watch for a
    message at bottom of screen when computer starts up. You may have to hit key
    several times. if it trys to boot. you will have to restart and retry. It
    flashes by quickly. You can hit the "Pause" key to stop and "Space bar" to
    release. Once in BIOS, you have to look for option to boot first from CD/cdr
    drive. Make sure you save changes. Once computer is fixed you should go back
    and reset to original setting.

    You will probably get message/prompt to "hit any key". Do so. this should
    make the computer boot to and read CD/CDRrom with Recovery CD in drive.

    Can't help you with the exact selections to make on Recovery CD menu. You
    need to read information with recovery cd or other literature, or contact
    computer mfg for help.

    Guest, Nov 19, 2005

    Thank you both so much. I'll try all of this when I get home from work today!

    Guest, Nov 19, 2005

    abuna caleb Guest

    abuna caleb, Nov 12, 2006