Windows 7, Services.exe freezes during boot.

Skybuck Flying

I also video taped it and will be uploading the video as proof tomorrow.

I taped services.exe hanging, as well as continueing after 10 minutes as
well as svhost.exe consuming 50% cpu.

Apperently ISP has issue with mail/usenet server too... couldn't upload my
message for 2 minutes or so... another 2 minutes of my life wasted sux.

So maybe that a linux box sucking ;) :) Hihih that would be funny.

Anyway tomorrow the upload BOMB will happen ;) :)

So the whole world can see what a piece of shit windows 7 is currently
behaving.

FOKKED UP AND WEIRD.

Then again could just be bad motherboard/drivers... but then again windows 7
detects hardware wrong... so definetly a microsoft problem.

Linux on a CD ran just fine I know that much.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

Microsoft has this thing for wasting CPU, encryption crap, backup crap.

I am starting to suspect that there latest crap is "windows defender".

By clicking "go to services" when clicking on "svhost.exe" blue bars light
up indicating which service is being run by svhost.exe.

I am not yet sure which PID was responsible but I would not be surprised if
windows defender has something to do with it.

Perhaps it's bugged or perhaps it's trying to login to microsoft to download
new files and is queued for 10 minutes.

I can remember this being a seperate product which was crappy too and hang
regularly.

Windows defender is now turned off and it's service is disabled from
running.

I shall report back in the coming days if it helped or not, or if the freeze
continues.

Perhaps the freeze will continue, but hopefully the 50% cpu usage will be
over.

The 50% cpu usage seizes after a while, the service involved was remote dcom
launcher or something like that.
responsible for remote procedure calls, an essential service and cannot be
turned off as far as I know windows will say it needs to reboot.

None the less maybe the other services have something to do with it...
perhaps windows defender uses remote procedure calls into microsoft...
who knows ;)

Perhaps it's time I start to disable lots of services like I used to do on
windows xp... just make sure window update keeps running otherwise OH-OH
infection.

Though some say windows update is bugged and has something to do with the
freezes.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Paul

Skybuck said:
[...]

You can operate Windows, such that each thing using a svchost, runs
within its own svchost. (The "tasklist" program mentioned, doesn't
work the same on all OSes. Tasklist on WinXP Home for example,
doesn't accept the /svc argument, whereas WinXP Pro does accept
/svc as an argument.)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/spatdsg/archive/2007/09/17/debugging-services.aspx

"You can split it out into its own service by running:

sc config <service> type= own

And revert it via

sc config <service> type= share
"

Maybe that will help identify it. If you had 17 services launched,
by assigning "own" to each of them, you'd end up with 17 svchosts running
in Task Manager. The one that is busy, is the guilty party.

*******

There is an article on services.exe here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Services.exe

Paul

Mr. Man-wai Chang

I taped services.exe hanging, as well as continueing after 10 minutes as
well as svhost.exe consuming 50% cpu.
Apperently ISP has issue with mail/usenet server too... couldn't upload
my message for 2 minutes or so... another 2 minutes of my life wasted sux.
So maybe that a linux box sucking ;) :) Hihih that would be funny.
Then again could just be bad motherboard/drivers... but then again
windows 7 detects hardware wrong... so definetly a microsoft problem.

Is it just a heat issue? Did you cover or block all the ventilation
holes of the PC chassis?

Reinstall your Window FROM SCRATCH! Use a trust-worthy and legitimate
Win 7 ISO. If a clean Win 7 still have problem, maybe your hardware is bad.

What's the specification of your PC? A notebook?

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!

Skybuck Flying

Read my DreamPC 2006 to 2013 specs somewhere on the internet, in short:
ANTEC 1200 case.

So it's totally hilarious seeing a vented computer case still overheat.

Clearly an issue with AMD CPU (assuming this is the culprit) still
overheating.

Could also be GT 520 but I don't think so.

Apperently AMD CPU has never been stress tested enough which is kinda weird.

Apperently the combination of:

INTENSE GPU + INTENSE CPU leads to CPU OVERHEAT !

HA-HA.

Perhaps this phenomon is being experienced by BITCOIN infected computers.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Read my DreamPC 2006 to 2013 specs somewhere on the internet, in short:
ANTEC 1200 case.
So it's totally hilarious seeing a vented computer case still overheat.
Clearly an issue with AMD CPU (assuming this is the culprit) still
overheating.
Could also be GT 520 but I don't think so.

So it's really a heat problem? I am surprised, Your Honor!

That's an expensive chassis, so it should not be blamed... Did you
really block all fan and ventilation holes? :)

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (Fedora 18 i686) Linux 3.8.11-200.fc18.i686
^ ^ 22:39:02 up 5:45 0 users load average: 0.00 0.01 0.05
ä¸å€Ÿè²¸! ä¸è©é¨™! ä¸æ´äº¤! ä¸æ‰“交! ä¸æ‰“劫! ä¸è‡ªæ®º! è«‹è€ƒæ…®ç¶œæ´ (CSSA):

Mr. Man-wai Chang

Read my DreamPC 2006 to 2013 specs somewhere on the internet, in short:
ANTEC 1200 case.
So it's totally hilarious seeing a vented computer case still overheat.
Perhaps this phenomon is being experienced by BITCOIN infected computers.

BTW, check all FANS' AIR FLOW. Fans should draw air out from the back
and pull air from the front!

Maybe your fans were not circulating the air right....

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (Fedora 18 i686) Linux 3.8.11-200.fc18.i686
^ ^ 22:45:02 up 5:51 0 users load average: 0.00 0.01 0.05

Mr. Man-wai Chang said:
BTW, check all FANS' AIR FLOW. Fans should draw air out from the back
and pull air from the front!

Maybe your fans were not circulating the air right....

He probably didn't fit the cooler properly. Forgot the thermal paste.

Only a thin layer of paste is required. Not an "Oreo cookie". The purpose
of paste, is to displace air which is an insulator. The paste is
a mixture of boron nitride (a good conductor of heat), with the
paste portion as a carrier for it. If you used Vaseline as a
solution, it doesn't have as high a thermal conductivity as
boron nitride or silver particles would.

If you do it properly, on viewing the CPU and socket from the side,
you'll see a "white colored seam", where the paste just barely
oozes out of the gap. If you use too much, it'll flow out of
there like toothpaste and foul the socket area (you don't want that).

A careful initial application, installation, removal and examination
of the paste pattern, will tell you how much additional paste needs to
be added. If the paste does not wet the gap along the edge, you don't
have enough applied.

*******

If a previous thermal material is present, you remove it. For
phase change materials, it may require scraping to get it off.
For many other materials, the right series of cleaning solvents
will remove it.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arcticlean.htm

If you find the MSDS for that kit, you can figure out what
chemicals are present. The MSDS is at the bottom of the web page.
D-Limonene is something like monoterpene limonene, dextro optical
rotation. (A.K.A Orange oil ???)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limonene

"Limonene is a chiral molecule, and biological sources produce
one enantiomer: the principal industrial source, citrus fruit,
contains D-limonene"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_oil

I think we did an extraction of that stuff, in an organic lab in uni.
They probably made us do that, so we'd learn how to use a polarimeter.
So anyway, that's one of the ingredients in Arcticlean, for removal
of thermal paste products.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarimeter

Paul

Flasherly

He probably didn't fit the cooler properly. Forgot the thermal paste.

A thin utility knife from the hardware store, the type where they're
stamped for breaking off 1/4" tip sections for keeping a fresh tip and
edge. Only get the smaller ones, though, with a 3/8" blade width. Put
a drop of thermal paste on the center of the CPU and use the flat side
of the utility blade to work it out evenly over the chip. Can judge
how thick it is by any color beneath of the CPU showing through as
streaks to the paste. As with icing on a cake put on with a knife, if
too thin it'll be hard to avoid streaks. Can also do the same for the
bottom mating to the CPU on the heatsink. Purely mechanical and with
fine control from such blades, the technique, smoothing the layer into
consistency for depth can be as exacting as writing on a rice kernel.
Applying them together, put a little downward rotational pressure, a
few degrees, say 15, side to side, by twisting the mating it in before
applying the clamps permanently.

Want hypothetical perfection, then the heatsink (and CPU top) also can
be lapped into a mirror finish from on top a pane of glass, then
suitable buffer sheet, in a figure-8 motion, from polishing compound
in fine metal paste finish or a possible substitute in automotive
products.

Mr. Man-wai Chang

He probably didn't fit the cooler properly. Forgot the thermal paste.

I don't want to use a checklist to question what was forgotten to do... :)

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (Fedora 18 i686) Linux 3.8.11-200.fc18.i686
^ ^ 14:27:01 up 21:33 0 users load average: 0.00 0.01 0.05
ä¸å€Ÿè²¸! ä¸è©é¨™! ä¸æ´äº¤! ä¸æ‰“交! ä¸æ‰“劫! ä¸è‡ªæ®º! è«‹è€ƒæ…®ç¶œæ´ (CSSA):

Skybuck Flying

Well,

I have been running the system for a few days now without windows defender
and it doesn't seem to be the culprit.

Still slow logins, and svchost.exe still consuming 50% cpu after login.

I am going to re-enable windows defender, even though it probably doesn't do
much.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

As far as I can tell everything was done properly and everything is working
properly.

Other possible reasons of overheat:

1. Dust on fan blade, making it spin slower, I removed it.

2. Some dust on the heatsinks, I blowed it off.

3. One or two points on the heatsink holes were broken off, but as far as I
know the heatsink is attached properly so this is probably not an issue.

4. Perhaps drying up of thermal paste material but it's artic silver 7 so
probably not an issue, it seems to remain smooth.

5. Could also be a problem with the chip itself having a hotspot on the
memory controller ;)

Bye,
Skybuck.

Mr. Man-wai Chang

As far as I can tell everything was done properly and everything is
working properly.

Wrong BIOS setting? Are you overclocking?

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (Fedora 18 i686) Linux 3.9.2-200.fc18.i686
^ ^ 23:42:01 up 3:47 0 users load average: 0.00 0.01 0.05

"Mr. Man-wai Chang" wrote in message
As far as I can tell everything was done properly and everything is
working properly.

"
Wrong BIOS setting? Are you overclocking?
"

Nope.

Perhaps some auto-overclocking is happening, I hope not though ;) :)

Bye,
Skybuck.

Mr. Man-wai Chang

"Mr. Man-wai Chang" wrote in message Wrong BIOS setting? Are you overclocking?

Nope.
Perhaps some auto-overclocking is happening, I hope not though ;) :)

NO harm resetting BIOS to default.

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
/( _ )\ (Fedora 18 i686) Linux 3.9.2-200.fc18.i686
^ ^ 14:54:02 up 1 day 16:58 0 users load average: 0.00 0.01 0.05
ä¸å€Ÿè²¸! ä¸è©é¨™! ä¸æ´äº¤! ä¸æ‰“交! ä¸æ‰“劫! ä¸è‡ªæ®º! è«‹è€ƒæ…®ç¶œæ´ (CSSA):