Windows 8 Windows 8 faster than 7 with AMD cards !

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/software/2012/10/26/windows-8-performance-benchmarks/1

Yup Windows 8 is a real winner folks.

Reboot times were very impressive in Windows 8, with the system able to perform a full reboot in just over 20 seconds. The Hybrid Boot feature appears to do its job well, as Windows 8 was able to reboot 5 seconds faster than Windows 7, being faster at both shutting down and booting.

Yup a real winner. But there is a bit of bad news.

It's worth noting that we were also hoping to run Crysis 2 benchmarks on both operating systems. However, try as we might, we simply could not get it to run on the Windows 8 system, even with the WHQL certified drivers installed, which is rather troubling.

That is a old game though so no worries there then.

It's fair to say that Windows 8 didn't get off to a great start in our testing, as it was outperformed in every one of our media benchmarks. Though the difference was negligible in the video encoding test, Windows 7 proved to be 5 per cent faster in the GIMP image editing test and nearly 11 per cent faster in the multi-tasking test, which is particularly worrisome as an operating system's ability to multi-task is a crucial part of its performance.

Who the heck multi tasks anyway.

Our Skyrim graphics test threw up some interesting results. Our high end Nvidia GeForce GTX 670 2GB card went from a 60fps minimum frame rate in Windows 7 to 55fps in Windows 8, which is a significant drop in performance.

Nit picking. AMD's are cheaper anyway.

SATA performance on the other hand, was slightly slower in the new OS as our ATTO test showed a 5MB/s drop in read speeds and a 7MB/s drop in write speeds in Windows 8. This could well be due to limitations of the current Windows 8 SATA drivers, however, rather than an inherent problem with Windows 8.

Right on. The os is fast it is just them stupid drivers.

The frustration caused by the new UI. It doesn't scale well to large monitors, often proves frustrating to use with a mouse and keyboard and things that were once simple to access like shutdown options and the Computer overview are now hidden away in unintuitive places.

Nit picking again. Buy a smaller monitor save some loot. make it a touch screen and you do not need a mouse or keyboard.

The multi-tasking performance degradation is a particular blow to Windows 8, but one which the faster boot times do soften somewhat.

See a real winner. It boots quicker and shuts down quicker. :thumb:

Those few seconds you save will make your private pc'ing much more enjoyable. An your business use will definitely increase your profits. :dance:

Switch to Linux I hear you say. :wall: are you mad ? Think of the huge learning curve and all those usless programs that all that clever stuff that no one needs.

No way Hoshay. Windows 8 rules the roost. :bow:

Now where is that darn start button and the menu. :confused: I know it is around here somewhere :cry:

http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/software/2012/10/26/windows-8-performance-benchmarks/1

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Now imagine that Windows 8 was the latest car Microslop were bringing to the market. Would you even go to the showroom let alone buy one.
cool.png

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You wascal you ;)

From '96 to 2006 I was the world's biggest AMD fan, up until then only Intel machine build I done was my very first one, a 386 cpu soldered to the motherboard.

Then Intel got their crap together and I've used them ever since, that is for the last six years.

My six year old 3.2Ghz Amd dualie is starting to go flaky so I'm considering an upgrade and decided to do some research, I really wanted another AMD machine.

But even with the release of their latest Piledriver CPU reviewers unanimously put Intel ahead of the race. AMD cpu's do cost less but they have no internal graphics processor and I can confirm from having just completed an i3 build that the Intel Graphics within their chips is exceedingly good for office and media machines. Not for gaming, obviously.

So, sad to say, if I do decide to upgrade I'll probably go Intel again, I really wish AMD would get their crap together.

As for the rest - Windows 8 is utter tosh, I use a Linux Distro regularly but when I tried several distros for my media machine including a stripped down XBMC version, I couldn't find a one I liked. At All. And again, I really wanted to.

I've ended up using Win 7 for media machine, it just works, and works well.

All this saddens me a bit, but I do have to be brutally honest.

Oh, and boot and shutdown times aren't the be-all and end-all. Nice if they're short but not neccesarily the best benchmark for a good OS.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Where did I get that from? The same review as you've linked to actually :confused:

Looks like senility may be kicking in with me, let me go read that again...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Actually no This is where I gleaned my info from.

And here's a quote from the article, from which I made my post:

£150 for an eight-core chip with a 4GHz default clock sounds mighty tasty on paper, but do remember that any FX platform will require a discrete graphics card to be installed; the chip doesn't feature any form of integrated graphics.

So - AMD CPU less graphic card can provide graphics output? Please explain if you have the time cos this boy is confused.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Your review was mainly for the FX-8350 ( no on board graphics) This will work on AM 3+ mobos
My review was for the A10-5800K (with on board graphics) This will work on a FM 2 mobo.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/46005-amd-a10-5800k-trinity-apu/?page=5

This review is for the top of the range A10's. One of the cheaper A10's would use less power and still have plenty of umph for a media type pc.

It has got quite confusing lately with all the new offerings. The Pi can handle media streaming duties easily now with the latest official image. They have done a lot of tweaking and I believe that you can use the tv remote for functions now as well(was a bit problematic before). :cool:

Ask a Question