Win2KPro freezes on bootup

AppleTreephoto

Windows starts to boot, then about halfway through the
bootup process, the system hangs and the startup screen
scrambles. It will start in safe mode. The only change
that has been done to this system has been to install MSN
Messenger, until that point, it has been dead stable. In
safe mode, I am unable to run the uninstall dialog in the
control panel. Any ideas??

Ray at

While the cause can probably be from any of thousands of things, when I've
had this happen, it was because of a hard drive that eventually failed on
me. It may not hurt to run some diagnostics on your hard drive(s) if you
have the diag tools for the drive. If not, you can most likely download
something from the manufacturer's site.

As far as the MSN Messenger thing, the command to uninstall it IN WINDOWS XP
is:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Perhaps this will work on a 2000 machine as well. I do not have a 2000
machine with MSN Messnger (or any machine for that matter) on it.

dcdon

Congratulations Ray

don CFII & %?%
---